A very warm welcome from Catherine Reynolds, Careers Consultant for PhD students and research staff!
We have many years’ experience of working with PhD students from all departments and offer a substantial programme of career development for PhD students looking to develop their career in academic or in other employment sectors. We run specialist events, fairs, seminars and talks throughout the year and 30 minute one-to-one careers appointments.
You can book events and appointments via CareerHub, which also has listings of job vacancies for during and after your PhD. PhD events this term start on 9 October. Look out for:
- Career options after your PhD, 9 October
- Preparing for an academic career, 18 October
- PhD alumni panel – working outside academia, 8 November
- CVs for academic posts, 13 November
- CVs for outside academia, 22 November
- A number of employer presentations on and off campus for PhD students
Also on CareerHub it’s useful to ‘follow’ employers/organisations you’re interested in and set your preferences to tailor your search. You can find more information about routes into careers inside and outside academia on our website. It’s not too early to start now! You might also be inspired by other events (booking on CareerHub) such as:
- Meet an Alum – with focus on think tanks, political risk and more
- Parliamentary internships – to be conducted alongside your graduate studies
- International Organisations Day – truly inspiring range of speakers and organisations
- Public Sector and Policy Careers Events Programme
- employer events including many others who recruit PhD graduates
Making the most of your time at LSE
You’ll be very busy during the year and we encourage you to make the most of your time at LSE. The experiences you gain while you are here will shape the opportunities open to you after you leave, so please make time to reflect on your priorities and plan for a variety activity this year. The professional network you develop while you are here might also form the basis of your future working life.
The annual LSE Careers PhD programme brochure 2017/18 is online; it summarises all you need to know throughout the year.
The PhD Academy (Floor 4 of the Library in the Lionel Robbins Building) offers a great space for building relationships with other researchers and engaging in some professional development. Specialist careers seminars for PhDs are run in the PhD Academy training room and one-to-one careers appointments take place in a private room off the office area.
Finally, keep an eye on the LSE Careers PhD blog, where we’ll post news, information, and other resources.
I look forward to meeting you soon,