A series of tandem activities were organised for our first visitors from Fudan University. They run parallel to the English programme which Fudan students have been taking at LSE. This is part of the Summer Language Exchange Programme with Fudan University, Shanghai, China
The aim of the Tandem events was double, on one hand for students to have the chance to practise their English in an informal environment; on the other hand, it was an opportunity to meet other students taking Mandarin courses on Summer Languages programme and also LSE students taking the LC English pre-sessional courses.
- An online exchange was offered to Fudan and Mandarin Summer Languages students. They had the chance to get in touch before Shanghai students came to UK. Although the content of the exchange was free, a reference guide was sent to all students for ice-breaking.
- Monday 5th August: Welcome event. Fudan and Mandarin Summer Languages students were invited. There was plenty of informal conversation with light snacks and drinks. Some of the students met their online exchange tandem buddies in person.
- Thursday 8th August: projection of an English Film. “Hot Fuzz” was shown followed by a chat in English and Chinese about language and cultural aspects seen on the film.
- Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th August: English through Improv. In this workshop some basic exercises were explored to see how the techniques of improv can lead to greater self-confidence, spontaneity of expression and improved communication skills. These sessions were led by Improv experts Angelina Castellini and Steve Bond.
- Thursday 15th August: Projection of Chinese Film. Students from Fudan chose and presented a film to the Mandarin Summer Languages students, followed by an informal chat which covered some social attitudes in modern China, compared to UK and USA.
Pictures are from the Improv sessions on 12th & 13th August
Organised by LC Tandem Learning