Late last year Viacom’s Scratch published the results of a 3 year study on the habits of millennials…the aggregated survey is particularly damning for an already unloved industry – retail banking.  If we take the predicts at face value – the MDI – that’s the Millennial Disruption Index to you and me – suggests change and fragmentation on the horizon.

Always worried about causation and correlation (like any good LSE student), I tiptoed into FinTech this week determined to try to understand the what behind the revolution.  FinTech hosted a great panel called ‘It’s the Technology, Stupid’ – a self-described forum to bypass Bitcoin and look at the disruptive power of the underlying technology – the Blockchain (think giant anonymous digital ledger).

I emerged a few hours later dizzy with thoughts of ‘trust-less’ transactions but still left wondering – does Blockchain + MDI equal a brave new world of distributive banking, or will the rage fade into a reshuffle of the usual suspects – new services and the same old transaction rents?  If it were only so simple, I’d have my dissertation topic.

Ben Abbate

About Ben Abbate

I'm a dual national of the US and UK and a global client director at a large technology research organisation. I'm passionate about globalisation and the freedom of movement of people and things around the world. I'm in the 2015 cohort of the Executive Global MiM programme.