Payal Budhraja

The RCC Experience: Behind the scenes at my first student conference

Payal Budhraja

LSE’s motto, Rerum Cognoscere Causas, means, ‘To know the causes of things’. The RCC Conference is an exclusive student led conference organised by our Global Master’s in Management students at LSE as part of the CEMS international programme. It aims to teach, empower students and delegates and bring together the CEMS community under one roof to share ideas and knowledge.

Top managers, influential policy makers and leading academics come together to debate on issues, find solutions and define best practices. This year’s theme was ‘Structural Innovation in a Digitalised Era’, which focused on the growing digitalisation in the workspace and how organisations are evolving to incorporate technological practices within their system. A.T. Kearney, a leading consulting firm, LVMH, a luxury leader, and IBM, a technology pioneer, were among the Corporate Partners involved in the conference.

As a first-year Global Master’s in Management student, I had the chance to be a part of the RCC Committee Support Team. This was a great opportunity for me to learn and understand the responsibilities involved in running the conference. I helped the Organising Committee manage setting up the rooms and ensured that the events ran smoothly. Indeed, a lot of planning went in having the room bookings, banners in place and the logistics pre-checked before every event.

I had a memorable and fun time being a part of the team that was so determined to make the conference a victory and I hope to organise it next year. My role as a volunteer was busy, but I still had time to meet many students and delegates. I also spent a lot of time with my peers who volunteered and it was great to get to know people better from my cohort as well. The conference is open to all students and it’s truly up to you to make the most of the events, workshops and networking evenings. It is a great chance to immerse yourself in learning, but also remember to relax and have fun!

A few of my classmates attended the conference and had a great time building networks and gaining a better understanding of the world they will be graduating in.

The RCC is a great opportunity for students and professionals to learn about each other’s perspectives on increasingly relevant topics. It is definitely a conference for visionaries interested in the future of industries.

– Hippolyte Genêt, First Year GMiM

The conference had a great variation of speakers and workshops. I liked the Q/A sessions the most as people asked very insightful questions. It was a very riveting experience. I also loved the champagne sponsored by Moët Hennessy.

– Vineet Mittal, First Year GMiM

The Organising Committee consisted of Second Year GMiM students. They had a stressful few weeks organising the conference, but the outcome of a well-organised, successful event made everything worth it. This was clear from their comments:

Organising the conference was very intense but is an amazing opportunity as you get to be part of a team with a common goal of making the conference perfect, helping each other as much as possible and making sure everyone is enjoying themselves! With the corporate side of the conference you get to talk to so many companies that are have very interesting workshops and interview opportunities.

– Karen Aris, Marketing team

“Being a part of the organising committee of RCC was absolutely amazing! It is very rewarding in terms of building relationships with corporate partners and CEMS students from all around the world. You practice many skills including organisational skills, communication, and networking. I definitely encourage all first year MiMs to apply to become a part of the committee!” – Ilgaz Meyan, Marketing team

I was a part of the ‘Support staff’ in my first year and I had enjoyed a lot my experience there as I really felt I was part of an objective everyone was looking to accomplish. That is why I decided to organise the conference this year. Even though it is a lot of work, I learnt a lot in terms of how to deal with problems and the overall experience was amazing. I am proud of all the work we did together.

– Laura Silva, Corporate Relations

I am glad I had the chance to volunteer as I enjoyed being a part of the Support Team, whilst my peers had a fantastic time attending the conference. My seniors had a hectic time organising the event, but they will always remember the experience. The feedback was highly positive from both the visitors as well as the Corporate Partners. It’s definitely not a conference to miss!

Learn more about our Global Master’s in Management programme

Payal Budhraja

Global Master's in Management student 2016-18

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens