Nikita Singh

March 17th, 2017

How LSE shaped me and my career

Nikita Singh

March 17th, 2017

How LSE shaped me and my career

Prior to pursuing the MSc in Organisational Behaviour at LSE, I worked at a global youth-run non-profit organisation where I had the opportunity to do a breadth of work in talent management and leadership. Through my work, I discovered my passion for psychology, leadership and HR – however, I knew I needed both the depth of knowledge as well as clarity about how I would pursue my passion going forward. Upon graduating, I am so grateful that LSE gave me just this.

Depth of knowledge

There were times when I was sitting in lectures wondering why I must read an endless number of research papers on themes like Culture, Psychological Contract, or Employee burnout. While I might not remember every detail of these research papers, the rigour, attention to detail and focus on research has helped me immensely to develop a comprehensive approach towards problem solving in the workplace. The course curriculum and professors at LSE taught me how to ask the right questions, look for the relevant information, and then connect the dots to create effective solutions. This is exactly what my current consultancy role requires me to do. Moreover, depth of knowledge coupled with the flexibility to customise the course to my interests through electives, also enabled me to gain knowledge across a breadth of areas within HR and Social Psychology. In each of my projects at work, I have been able to link my work directly or indirectly to something I learnt at LSE.

Clarity about my career

From day one, the LSE Careers department had seminars, one to one sessions and workshops about the different career options available to us. Each professor took a personal interest in our career development too. Each of us was assigned a mentor (professor) whom we could seek advice from. It is the direction I received from my professors and LSE Careers that helped me pick HR consulting as a career. More importantly, I felt prepared for it to a large extent. From advice on exploring career options, to help with CVs, case interviews and behavioural interviews, LSE helped me and my peers at every stage.

My discovery

Education at LSE also helped me discover my love for research. Through my thesis, as well as assisting some professors with research, I learnt how good research can help us get to the ‘root cause’ of a problem. I realised just how powerful it is to pick a relevant world, organisational or human behaviour problem, and begin to understand how we can create solutions based on the ‘root cause’. Through this approach, LSE also instills a sense of purpose in each student. I believe this sense of purpose is fundamental for our generation to create a positive impact on society. I remember the words of the LSE Director at our graduation: “The world needs you, and I hope you use your knowledge to create a better world”.

Friends for life

LSE has also given me so many fond memories because of the wonderful friends I made from across the world. Not only did I learn a lot from each one of my friends, but also, London and LSE felt like home being around them. I feel so nostalgic and really wish that every person experiences this diverse, international environment with the perfect combination of fun and learning!

I will always be grateful for my education at LSE, and recommend this experience to every person who wants to create lasting positive impact in their field of work.

Finally, like any other experience in life, the LSE experience is what you make of it. It is a lot of hard work and how well you do is completely up to you

Nikita Singh

MSc Organisational behaviour 2014-15

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens