Prior to pursuing the MSc in Organisational Behaviour at LSE, I worked at a global youth-run non-profit organisation, and undertook a breadth of work in talent management and leadership. I knew I was interested in leadership, HR and business psychology. However, I knew I needed both the depth of knowledge as well as clarity around how I will pursue my interests going forwards. Upon graduating, I am so grateful that LSE gave me just this.

Depth of knowledge

There were times when I was sitting in lectures wondering why I had to read ten long research papers on themes like Psychological Contracts or Organisational Citizenship Behaviour. While it is true that I might not remember every detail of each of these papers, the rigour, attention to detail and focus on research has helped immensely to develop a holistic approach towards problem solving in the workplace. The course curriculum and professors at LSE taught us how to ask the right questions, look for the relevant information, and then connect the dots to create effective solutions. This is exactly what my job requires me to do on a daily basis. Moreover, depth of knowledge, coupled with the flexibility to customise my course to my interests through electives, also enabled me to gain knowledge across a breadth of areas within HR and Business Psychology. In each of my projects at work, I have been able to link my work directly or indirectly to something I learnt at the LSE.

Clarity about my career

From day one, the LSE Careers department had seminars, one-to-one sessions and workshops about suitable career options. Each professor took a personal interest in our careers too. Each of us was assigned a mentor (professor) whom we could seek help and advice from. It is the direction I received from my professors and LSE Careers that made me pick HR consulting as a career. More importantly, I felt prepared for it to a large extent. From advice on exploring career options to help with CVs, case interviews and behavioural interviews, LSE helped my peers and me at every stage.

Friends for life

LSE has also given me friends for life from across the world, and a network I can access each time I need to. I have written to LSE alumni in the past year, and each time they have responded. Our professors are teachers, mentors and friends, who take interest in our career development even after our time at LSE.

My discovery

My education at LSE also helped me discover my love for research. Through my thesis, as well as assisting some professors with research, I learnt how good research can help us get to the ‘root cause’ of a problem. I realised just how powerful it is to pick a relevant world, organisational or human behaviour problem, and begin to understand how we can create solutions based on the ‘root cause’. Through this approach, LSE also instils a sense of purpose within in each young student. I believe this sense of purpose is fundamental for our generation to create a positive impact on society. I remember the words of the LSE Director at our graduation, “The world needs you, and I hope you use your knowledge to create a better world”.

I will always be grateful for my education at LSE, and definitely recommend this experience to every person who wants to create positive change in his or her field of work.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Nikita Singh graduated from the LSE MSc Organisational Behaviour in 2015. She currently works as a consultant for a leading global talent advisory firm Korn Ferry HayGroup and resides in Mumbai, India. She works in areas of leadership development, assessment, organisational design, reward and other HR solutions across diverse industries. She is also very passionate about yoga and mindfulness, and is preparing to undertake her teacher training.