Charlie Beckett

Online enterprise: the website

Charlie Beckett

Online enterprise: the website

Polis has spent the last 18 months looking at how media businesses can be created online. Indeed, I spent the weekend proof-reading my book which is largely about just that. So I was delighted to see that media academic Paul Bradshaw has created a new website  to give a platform for e-entrepreneurs to tell the world about their new ventures. JournalismEnterprise.com reminds me of how much work is being done in the States by the media industry working with journalism schools and researchers to promote online news.

For example, David Cohn who works out of New York University has his DigiDave website which this week begins a new series of practical tips on how to change your newsroom.

My favourite line from JournalismEnterprise so far is from the creators of Sweeble.com who say that it :

was born out of the bottom of a bottle of wine at the dog end of a bad day in the newsroom.

Sweeble.com is a place for all the stories people write that don’t quite find a home elsewhere. So it’s an eclectic mix. I found it all a bit confusing but it’s another example of the burgeoning creativity of journalism online. And JournalismEnterprise.com is another good example of thinkers in and around the news media getting together to promote new ideas that can work in practice.

Charlie Beckett

Posted In: