About Polis

Click on the links on the front page that will take you through to the full Polis website or you can go to the website for the The London School of Economics. Click here to get information about the Polis Summer School .

The public face of Polis is our programme of lectures, seminars, research and events. We bring significant and controversial figures from the media to talk about their role in society. We get important public figures to talk about what they think about the way that the media deals with the world. And then we will get them to talk to each other! Click on the events link to get more information about that.

If you care – get in touch and join the Polis debate. Contact Charlie Beckett at c.h.beckett@lse.ac.uk or on Twitter via @charliebeckett. You can also follow Polis on Twitter at @PolisLSE or on the Polis Facebook page.

About Charlie Beckett

I am the founding director of Polis, the  journalism and society think-tank at the London School of Economics’ Media and Communications Department.

I am the author of one book about networked journalism called ‘SuperMedia’ (Blackwell) and another about the significance of ‘WikiLeaks: News In The Networked Era’ (Polity).

This blog is a chance for me to highlight our events and research and to air my opinions on the relationship between journalists and the society they report on. It also features Guest-bloggers.

I spent 20 years working for some of the best news and current affairs programmes at the BBC, LWT and Channel 4 News at ITN. I went in to journalism because I think that it matters how our world is reported. With all the technological and commercial changes in journalism and all the social, environmental and political changes in society, I think that journalism matters even more now.

If you are a journalist, a student, academic or someone who cares about journalism and the effect it has, then I hope you will read and respond to what we put on here.

Moderation Policy

We want this blog to be a civilised place. I am in the fortunate position of not having to chase traffic. Instead we are looking to create a space for thoughtful interaction. I enjoy robust debate. I try not to be provocative for the sake of it, but if you disagree with what we write then I am more than happy to allow comments.

However, I do not allow comments that are personal attacks, personally rude, that are plugging products, or that are racist or sexist. I don’t like swearing either. In practice this means that one in a hundred comments are not allowed. It’s my blog and if you want to rant then create your own blog or go off to Comment Is Free.