reesej1

Part-time life at LSE

reesej1

Part-time life at LSE

Girl studying

My life at LSE is split into two distinct parts as I spend 30 hours of my week working for the LSE Cities research centre and the other part attending classes and occupying a desk in the library (when I can find one) as part of my part-time master’s in Politics and Communications. There is always a look of amazement combined with horror on the faces of my fellow students when I inform them that I work 30 hours a week and also somehow manage to squeeze in some time for study too! Then come the inevitable questions…. How do I manage to do all the seminar readings? How do I have time for researching and writing essays?? Do I still have a life???

It is certainly a big challenge at times and one that pushes me right to my limits as I often go from the office to a lecture or seminar and then back to the office again! My mind is left spinning and stuck somewhere between two extremely contrasting LSE lives. I switch from Critical Studies in Journalism and notions of the political economy to emails to be dealt with and requests from Cities team members. Plus, after a busy day in the office, finding the motivation to plough through statistics homework, research varying conceptions of power and explore the different research methodologies for my Dissertation is usually an uphill struggle against fatigue and brain-ache!

However… it is possible! I am fortunate that I work and study in the same place, meaning I am able to navigate the campus and find lecture and seminar rooms with ease, am already familiar with the structure of LSE and have an understanding employer who can comprehend my situation completely. Of course this all means I spend a huge amount of my life on campus! When I made the decision to apply to LSE two years ago I was well aware that it would be hard work, but I don’t think I quite envisaged the extent to which studying would take over my life.

My friends and family had to get used to seeing me much less often, holidays and breaks had to be scheduled around summative essay deadlines and exams, planning ahead became an increasing necessity as well as weekends spent inside battling with statistical significance tests and theories of the public sphere. Moodle has also become something I can’t seem to manage a day without as well as LSE for You and of course regular trips to the library to pick up or drop off books.

Despite all these adjustments I am enjoying my part-time student life and almost find that the less time I have the better use of it I make! I find less time for procrastination is always a good motivator! The evenings I spend researching and reading become more productive out of necessity and after the shock of the first few weeks of term I got used to sacrificing a large slice of my spare time for seminar readings. It is often a huge effort after an intense day of lectures and tasks at LSE Cities to give up an evening of relaxation for a public lecture, but always well worth it in terms of value gained.

Plus I have the benefit of living only a short 30 minute journey away from the LSE and often walk to work in the mornings listening to LSE lecture podcasts I have missed! It has been a big adjustment for me and one that I finally feel I have managed to get used to… after a year and a half of juggling two lives!

reesej1

I am an MSc student in Politics and Communications at the LSE and also work part time for research centre LSE Cities. I currently live in Lambeth, London but am originally from the countryside in Buckinghamshire. In my spare time I enjoy reading political biographies, baking and cooking, cycling, travelling when I can and exploring new places in London.