caik

October 31st, 2014

Hey, London, nice to see you again.

caik

October 31st, 2014

Hey, London, nice to see you again.

London street shotIt was around 5.40 in the morning, a month ago, when I landed in London, amazed by its glamorous night view, feeling refreshed breathing the cool air of late September. I tried to remember my first trip to London around eight years ago. It was summer. The sun shined all day till 9pm, making the early-begun disco party seemed more like a picnic. And time flies; now I am here again, ready to do a master programme in LSE.

I am from China. My family lived in the very south of mainland China, beside Hong Kong, but I spent the last four years in Beijing, a political centre, and a typical northern city, acquiring my Bachelor’s Degree and doing internships. Every time, when people asked me which part of China I belonged to, I hesitated, struggling with my identity.

During the graduation week in June, I rediscovered my undergraduate offer letter, where there was a sentence, reading: from now on, RUC (Renmin University of China) stays with you. It took me four years to realize that this was very true. Today, walking on the streets of London, I began to think of Voldemort, who tried to split his soul into seven, desiring immortality, but his fate was cursed. For me, I believe that my soul has been growing with every city I live in. We share every part of ourselves with the city, and the streets and buildings begin to love us – with this sharing, cities acquire their spirits. They are alive, like us. We don’t have to tear our souls apart; our lives continue with the cities, and our universities.

As I settled into LSE, I met lots of people coming from various backgrounds, compared to whom my background was so straight and plain. They convinced me that it was great to possess a mixed background. Struggling is unnecessary, although an interesting phenomenon, from an academic perspective. For a student trying to spealise in Nationalism, LSE is a fascinating place to be. Now I love to say that I am from China, but I am looking forward to becoming international.

caik

Posted In: Off Campus