Ridhi Malik

Moving to London ‘physically and emotionally’

Ridhi Malik

My journey from New Delhi, India to London, United Kingdom has been a rollercoaster ride. The most joyful moment for me was when my conditional offer got converted into an unconditional offer. I still remember that day when my undergraduate result was declared and I was only worried about whether I meet the criteria for LSE or not. And I realized I was going to THE LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE, one of the most prestigious universities in the world! I chose Gender, Development and Globalisation for my Masters degree. LSE was my first and last choice as it has the largest Gender Institute in Europe.

Packing 21 years of my life in three suitcases was really difficult but somehow I managed. The first two weeks were a total disaster. My bags were delayed by the airlines. It was the first time I travelled alone and this happened with me! All my excitement diminished. The journey wasn’t the same as I expected it to be. But that’s how you learn. Every roadblock teaches you something. It made me stronger. It made me independent. It made me do things on my own.

I have never stayed away from my family before and this time, this distance was not just between cities but countries! This distance of 6000 kilometres is a lot. But thanks to Skype, WhatsApp and Viber for keeping me connected. Oh! What would I do without you technology?

Moving to London was a huge change for me, especially the temperature (It’s always so cold here!). Feeling homesick was obligatory. The teaching style is also quite different here. Not having written a dissertation before really freaks me out.

But now I take a deep breath. I am at LSE. I am here to learn.

And if I am ever feeling glum, I look outside my window and The London Eye lightens up my day even in this darkness. I guess that’s the beauty of the city! So here I go to learn more, explore more and discover more.

Ridhi Malik

Student - MSc Gender, Development and Globalisation