Chloe

September 17th, 2015

Chloe’s How To: Make The Best Of Freshers

Chloe

September 17th, 2015

So, you’re about to become a fully fledged LSE fresher, but what does that entail? You’ll probably skip precious hours of sleep, struggle to stay awake through endless welcome lectures, and meet more people than your brain can possibly process. Below I have come up with a few DOs and DON’Ts based on my experience of Freshers week (readers take note: I am a serious lightweight who can only function on a solid 8 hours of sleep – adjust tips accordingly)

DO Get Your Bearings

First and foremost: I can’t stress enough how important it is to locate your nearest bus and tube stations, as well as the fastest way to campus from halls. You’ll thank me when you wake up hung-over, with only 1 hour until your welcome talk. Take some time to wander around your local area – it’s a good chance to bond with new people, and also it will let you see everything your area has to offer. Locate your local shops, and work out which sells the cheapest toilet roll and baked beans for future reference.

Oh, and of course, don’t forget about our millennial tendency to rely on technology (I hope you can sense the heavy sarcasm accompanying that sentence). Get lost? Need to know which bus to catch? As Steve Jobs said: There’s an app for that. Citymapper will become your best friend while you’re getting settled into London – particularly if your sense of direction is easily confused.

DON’T Make Yourself Uncomfortable

Ladies, put down the high heels. If you’re not 100% sure you’ll be able to stick out wearing heels all night, don’t bother. I’m serious; nights out in London can involve a lot of walking, and even more queuing. As far as I’m aware, heels on nights out at uni are pretty much extinct nationwide- you don’t want to spend your first nights wobbling around XOYO like a baby giraffe. (I am aware that some people have far greater stamina when it comes to heel wearing than I do – if this is the case, go ahead and show off oh talented and brave one).

Talking of taking it easy, don’t feel like you have to do the ‘classic’ freshers week, drinking every night isn’t a must. Five nights out + Five days of lectures = A serious lack of chill time. If you need to take a night off, follow the Nike philosophy, and just do it. There are plenty of sober nights planned for Welcome Week, both through the SU and through Halls, (or you can take the opportunity catch up on sleep – I’m just saying).

DO Look After Yourself

Keep hydrated and eat proper meals; nothing makes the hangovers worse and the early mornings harder than not eating and drinking enough. Don’t just live on 2am McDonald’s and Red Bulls, otherwise you’re going to crash hard by the end of the week. If you are craving caffeine, make sure to visit Wrights Bar on campus, for cheap coffee and tea.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, beware of Freshers flu – it is NOT a myth. Lemsip will be a friend to lean on in your time of need, so buy yourself a box of the tablets (or the drink sachets if you can stomach the taste).

Basically what I’m getting at is, don’t forget how to operate as a human being.

DON’T Miss The Campus Events

Look out for the Freshers Fair, taster sessions and society mixers during your first few days and weeks on campus. For SU events, check out this page, as well as SU social media and emails from any societies you join. Your first week schedule will probably be jam-packed already, but the following weeks can provide even more social opportunities before the work really starts to kick in. Last year for example, the Salsa society organised a night out to a Salsa Bar, while the LGBT+ Alliance opted for an afternoon of tea and scones.

DO Meet Lots Of People

All of these society events aim to help you find people with the same interests as you, making them perfect for making friends and connections. You might not meet the people you click with on your first night. Just keep persevering, and going to different gatherings to find people you have lots in common with. (Please understand, when I say ‘JUST’ I know it isn’t really that easy. Introverts I hear your collective sighs and completely understand). Not pushing myself to go to these events is one of my biggest regrets from 1st Year. I am shy, and I let it detract from my Freshers experience, try your best not to let the same thing get in your way.

Good luck Fresher!

Chloe

Second Year BA Geography student. Follow my somewhat trivial thoughts through my time as a student in London.

Posted In: Student life