Matt Razzano

Finding My Football Team

Matt Razzano

Finding My Football Team

The city I come from, Philadelphia, prides itself on its sports. Most “big market” cities have long histories of success with multiple championships. Yet, Philadelphia is not one of them.

Most years begin with hope and optimism but finish with disappointment or shame. Our baseball team became the first sports franchise to lose 10,000 games. Our “American” football fans have a reputation for being, well, rowdy and mean. But we are loyal and passionate.

Given this background, I was looking for certain things in selecting a football team to follow for my year in London. First, I looked to the flashy, perennial Premier League powers – Chelsea and Arsenal. Rooting for either felt like cheating, though. What fun is it to cheer for those clubs? It didn’t feel right.

So I moved to the less internationally known clubs – Crystal Palace, West Ham, or Tottenham. I did my research, but none of these felt right either.

Then, a friend from my program invited me to a Queens Park Rangers game. I hadn’t considered a “Championship-level” team. So I rushed to the Internet to learn more. They had been recently relegated from the Premier League, and they aren’t having a great season. They also just fired their coach.

These, seemingly terrible, characteristics were endearing. They reminded me of the many, many problems my own Philadelphia teams have each year.

I hopped on the tube, eager to get to the stadium. My friend and I stepped into the local pub before the game, and you could sense the excitement in the air. Despite the recent upheaval and the miserable weather, everyone was ready for the match.

I walked into the stadium, and it was exactly what I footballenvisioned an English football match would be like. The rich, green grass looked pristine. The stands were filled. The chants started. And a new coach would bring new promise to the ailing club. Yes, this would be my team.

The game started, and I was engrossed. I had been to a few football matches in my life – typically, when the major European clubs play friendlies in the US. It’s a totally new experience to see the games “at home,” though.

While the game ended in a 0-0 draw, I had a great time, and I will certainly be going back. If anyone is looking for an authentic football experience, I highly recommend going to a Queens Park Rangers game.

Matt Razzano

Posted In: London life