Students@LSE

November 23rd, 2015

To LSE: a home away from home

Students@LSE

November 23rd, 2015

To LSE: a home away from home

A post by LSE alum Ria

I remember being perched atop my keyboard, when an e-mail notification sounded from my computer. There it was! Was I to be an LSE-goer? With a wee bit of trepidation, I opened the sealed digital envelope. It was a resounding yes! In all my life, I’ve never experienced such heady joy. It was akin to nothing I had felt before.

In the weeks that ensued, counting down to when I was to actually grace the School’s hallowed halls; I reflected, planned and revelled in the unexpected – what was to come. Spending much of my young life in India and studying in New Delhi, one of most populous and bustling metropolises of the world, I knew I was ready to take the plunge. I was to be an MSc student with the Department of Media and Communications. Yes. That was me! LSE was the goal. It was a milestone. And a dream that I wanted to actualize. I had the golden chance and I took it with all my heart.

As a child, I was always curious. My mother recounts a story to me often – the first thing I did when I born was to just look around, wide-eyed. Many factors drew me to LSE. But most of all, the motto resonated deeply. I wanted to understand the “causes of things”. Honestly, at least some things. I found this, and more, whilst I was a student at LSE and even in the years afterward.

At LSE, I was wide-eyed again, absorbing all that was on offer. I also found my voice; the ability to debate in an informed manner. I came to know myself and what I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. My friends were family. Professors were my guides; lodestars whom I turn to till this very day.

LSE straddles two worlds. It is a haven; stimulating independent intellectual thought and creativity. But it is not far removed from the ground, the hallowed spaces open out to the real world – just as life on the Strand knocks on one’s doorstep. LSE enabled me to determine my identity and space in the world. For that, I will be eternally grateful.

Students@LSE

Students@LSE blog administrator

Posted In: Student life