Julian Yap Joe Nin

June 14th, 2016

A Full Circle

Julian Yap Joe Nin

June 14th, 2016

A Full Circle

The phrase “time flies” never meant more to me than during my year at LSE. This year has nonetheless been one of the most incredible and possibly, the most memorable year of my life for so many different reasons. It felt like just yesterday that I was just queuing up on the stairs of Clement’s House for my LSE ID Card in order to become an officially registered LSE student. And now, it’s already the last week of Summer Term which basically means that my postgraduate year has come to an end.

One of the most valuable things I’ve learnt from my year at LSE is to be able to write and think in a more critical and academic manner. I honestly have to say that for me, this year has truly been a very intense and thrilling rollercoaster ride, full of highs and lows. My writing to say the least is very practical, creative and expressive which served me well back in my undergraduate degree when I was studying for a degree in Business Administration with a year in industry. However, LSE requires way more than that, which had me questioning my ability throughout the year. But I realised that what is required of you is just very different and it takes time to adapt to this new style of teaching and writing. There is much more independent study and a lot more time needs to be spent reading, understanding, researching and most importantly, being able to link all the theories and concepts with one another taught during the Michaelmas and Lent term.

It is important to remember that succeeding at LSE is not an overnight process. During the course of this year, I slowly progressed by taking advantage of all the resources at my disposal, particularly the office and drop-in hours of the academics within my Department. I have found this to be exceptionally useful especially this chance to have a one-on-one conversation with them to discuss feedback from formative assessments or anything that I did not quite grasp from either the lectures or seminars and especially, the daunting dissertation due in mid August. This past month, where I have received all my summative assessments back, has certainly boosted my confidence levels knowing that all this time and effort have paid off big time. I am very proud of myself for getting this far and am really looking forward to working equally as hard, if not harder to produce a first class dissertation after a well-deserved summer holiday with my family and friends.

On the up side, the friends that I have made this year have been without a doubt, my best companions. Not only do we work hard but we also play hard. Well, maybe a little harder but I have absolutely no regrets. We spend time together in study groups to discuss essays or even readings. The way someone else explains something could potentially help clear your head and make you see everything from a whole new perspective.

That is what I absolutely love here at LSE, the exceptional bright and intellectual minds that you get to interact with. Not only that, the different backgrounds and experiences my friends have to offer has me still gushing with envy and appreciation over how each and everyone of them are incredible and unique in different ways with respect to their personal, professional and academic prospects.

Work, work, work, work, work hard and then PLAY, PLAY, PLAY, PLAY HARDER! I have had so many good times here at LSE and these are some of the places just to name a few. Firstly, how could you not mention the LSE library? How could you ever forget those glorious flights of stairs that take forever to get up or down one floor which may have made you feel like you’re walking in a strange manner many times? I have spent my fair share of time in the library, whether it is rushing to complete readings, presentations, formative or summative assessments. But what I love most about the library is at some point, you will somehow manage to bump into someone you know and a few minutes spent borrowing books will perhaps turn into 15, 20 minutes or even half an hour just chatting and catching up. Good old work-life balance.

Speaking of that balance, I also just love how close the George IV Pub is, right by the LSE Students’ Union and library. This pub has made unwinding after a long day at LSE feel like a breeze. The taste of a good glass of whiskey on the rocks tingling down your throat is just pure gold. It has become a ritual every Thursday in the Michaelmas term for the Media and Communications postgraduate cohort to meet up at the George IV pub from 6pm onwards and man, have I had so many memorable evenings with them after the pub closes at 11pm. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! In the Lent term however, it was a little different. It was more towards the end of term, the Easter break and Summer term we began to hang out so much more at the George IV pub particularly because this period was when summative assessments and exam preparations were in full swing. A drink and the company of my friends were definitely needed to get through this strenuous time which goes a very long way in terms of support and motivation from one another.

Ending this year in full circle was the one and only End of Year Party held very recently on Thursday, the 2nd of June 2016 at The Venue, in the basement of the Saw Swee Hock. This much anticipated party was truly a blast and the chance to witness one of our academics, Dr Bart Cammaerts spin the music as we all call him “DJ Bart”! All my friends and I could not guess who this special guest, “Lord Geoffrey” was until we realised that he was the balloon artist in the party.  Since the theme of the party was “Beach Boutique”, the myriad of colours of the balloons and the get up of all the students and academics within our cohort was highly appropriate for this fun occasion. I definitely felt like I had been transported to the Caribbean with tropical music and a Margarita in hand. Mingling with all the academics and my friends was the best way to finish this year with a bang and has it been such a fantastic year.

FullSizeRender

FullSizeRender[1]

LSE, you have been amazing to me. To all my friends, you’re the best and have made my year the most memorable and joyous. I truly could not have asked for a better cohort to have spent the year with and I will definitely be coming to visit each and every one of you in your home countries. To all the academics who have taught me, thank you so much for your patience and sharing your knowledge with me. I have learnt so much, I could not have studied at a better place than LSE for my postgraduate degree. And a big special thanks to Nicole Garner for organising all the logistics and making our lives at the LSE as smooth as possible.

Julian Yap Joe Nin

Follow me on my food, travel, lifestyle and LSE adventures at @julianyapjoenin (Instagram) and @julianyap4 (Twitter)