Mar 4 2016

Hi Naomi – Welcome to LSE Sustainability!

Hello everybody!

?

I’m Naomi Alexander-Naidoo and I’ve recently joined LSE as Sustainability Engagement Officer. For those of you who I haven’t met yet, I thought I’d share a little bit about me, what I’ve been up to during my first weeks at LSE and what I’ve got planned for the upcoming months.

I grew up in Oxford and then Glasgow, before moving down to London to do my BA next door at King’s College London (we can still be friends, right?). After that, I spent some time travelling and working for a sustainability communications consultancy in Brussels, before relocating to Utrecht in the Netherlands. There, I did a Master’s in philosophy with a focus on environmental ethics and an honours programme in sustainable innovation. It was during this time that I first got interested in sustainability at universities and the role of universities in sustainable development, as I interned at the university’s sustainability hub and became involved in the Dutch student environmental movement. After graduating, I continued to work there for a few months before returning to the UK and starting here at LSE.

Over the last few weeks, I have been busy meeting all the Green Impact teams and hearing about the great work they have been doing to ‘green up’ their departments over the past year. I’ve been really impressed by the enthusiasm and motivation of all the teams, and their creative and fun ideas for projects –  including clothes swaps, upcycle workshops, vegetarian lunches and waste awareness events. Whilst many teams have already completed their projects, I’m looking forward to joining some of the remaining activities in the next few weeks.

During the upcoming months, I will be continuing to coordinate Green Impact, ensuring that as many of our teams as possible get the award they are aiming for. I will also be organising the audit, where we recruit student volunteers to assess our teams and the great work they have been doing, and (very importantly!) our annual Celebration of Sustainability event.  Alongside this, I will be working on developing our online and social media presence, so we reach more students and staff from across LSE, and exploring more ways to engage the LSE community in sustainability. So, if you have ideas you’d like to share or you want to get involved, get in touch!

Naomi Alexander-Naidoo is the Sustainability Engagement Officer at LSE. Email her on n.alexander-naidoo@lse.ac.uk

This entry was posted in University sustainability and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.