LSE GROUPS 2017 (#groups2017) will be open to undergraduates of all years and all disciplines, now in its seventh year. It will be taking place at the end of Summer Term, with places are limited to 84 LSE students. It is co-ordinated by the LSE Teaching and Learning Centre. Students will spend two weeks working in small groups of mixed years and mixed disciplines, with a supervisor. In these groups they will devise a research question inspired by a broad theme, carry out a literature review, collect and analyse data, and write and present a research paper.

GROUPS 7

At the end of the two weeks’ work, we had a chance to present our work to all who were involved in LSE GROUPS, and it was amazing to see how each group ended up researching a unique and specific topic, given that we all started with the same broad prompt. Thankfully, we were awarded the Best Presentation Prize and Popular Prize by vote. With Hipsters and Spikes, I automatically participated in LSE Research Festival for the first time, and it really was an exciting experience to see how research can be presented in a concise yet varied forms (e.g. photography, poster, headlined abstract, 3 minute thesis speech).  An opportunity to talk with interested audience about the work was also highly encouraging, and the experience as a whole has definitely helped me develop my interest in social science research.  When I read articles written by multiple authors, I have wondered what it would be like to work with other professionals to write an academic article. With this unique experience, I feel that now I understand a bit better of the hardship and positive power of cooperative work and the excitement of contributing to existing academic debates. This has also certainly helped me decide on next pursuing further social science studies through a Masters degree with a dissertation component.

Sally Parks, BA Geography student and GROUPS 2016 participant, taken from her post in the UPD Research Cluster, LSE Geography blog

If you know any students who might be interested, please ask them to send a short email expressing their interest to tlc.groups@lse.ac.uk … we’ll be aiming recruitment at students shortly, but this is an advance chance to let your students know!

To find out more about LSE GROUPS in previous years, including photos, films and details of winning projects, see our LSE GROUPS past projects page, or search #LSEICL (for the current linked collaboration with Imperial College) on Twitter.

You can find out more about what the experience is like for students by reading Sally’s recent blog post.

GROUPS 6

Share