Alison Carter - Blog editor

July 14th, 2020

Yulian Dragoslavov

Alison Carter - Blog editor

July 14th, 2020

Yulian Dragoslavov

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Yulian Dragoslavov, a student on the MSc in International Political Economy 2019/20 in our department. He will be deeply missed by students and staff here in the Department of International Relations.

Below are some thoughts and tributes from his teachers and supervisors in the department:

“The news of Yulian’s passing has shocked and saddened all of us. His loss will be felt profoundly by his fellow students, his teachers, and Department staff. He was a gifted, bright student who was actively and fully engaged in scholarly debates in the Department, and was passionate about his studies. We have lost a rising star and we will miss him.”
Karen E. Smith, Head of Department

His mentor, Ellen Holtmaat, remembers him:

“I remember meeting Yulian for the first time in my office last autumn. Very kind, humble, intelligent, independent. I remember being surprised at that time he was still so young! Yet so wise. Our meetings over pizza with the mentor group. His contributions in class. I discussed his thesis ideas with him – evolving from the obsolescing bargain model to global value chain integration of Bulgaria. I remember talking to him a month ago via Zoom, his excitement about climbing in the mornings and working on the dissertation in the afternoon. That did sound wonderful.

He was such an amazingly smart person. Very ambitious – but balanced. Seeming to also make a priority of enjoying his time. Talking about the good times he’d have in Bulgaria. I was impressed by his intelligence and was hoping I’d be the one to read his final master’s thesis. Excited to read the findings of his research.

I wanted to be at peace with his passing, as he was doing something that he seemed to love. And maybe he is in a good place now and only came to light us up and not leave us filled with sadness. Yet, I find myself thinking of him and feeling overwhelmed, finding it so weird to meet someone, discuss his future, expecting to hear from the sidelines about his research and to stand at the start of his adult life.

I hope, I hope, there’ll be a spark of light for his parents, his siblings, his girlfriend, his family, friends and all the people close to him. – I can only imagine how dark it can be. I sincerely hope that the light that Yulian used to shine in their lives remains, even as his presence has taken on another form.”
Ellen Holtmaat, Fellow

His seminar teachers remember him:

“As a seminar leader, I remember Yulian not only as a gifted student with a sharp analytical mind, but also as a hard worker who was genuinely interested in his studies. Yulian knew a lot, but he was eager to learn more. He asked me to provide additional readings that he and the whole course could do in addition to the compulsory and recommended readings on the syllabus. It is very hard to believe that Yulian is not with us anymore. I am deeply touched by his passing and think of him with great respect and admiration.”
Benjamin Faude, Fellow

“Very sorry to hear the news.  Yulian was very well liked by those he got to know in the IPE student and staff community at the LSE.  He was clearly going to contribute a great deal to which ever field he entered, so we have all lost something. But this is of course nothing to the loss for his friends and family.”
Steve Woolcock, Associate Professor

“I was fortunate to have gotten to know Yulian well last term, and found him to be a genuinely kind person, and exceptionally bright too. It was a privilege to have him in my classroom. He was a joy to talk with, and will be sorely missed.”
Natalya Naqvi, Assistant Professor

We hope these memories of Yulian’s time at the LSE provide some small measure of comfort to his family and friends. Our hearts go out to them.

Please feel free to leave your condolences, thoughts and memories as comments below. (Please note comments are moderated so will not appear immediately).

Alison Carter - Blog editor

Posted In: Obituary