Alison Carter - Blog editor

August 12th, 2020

Featured alumni: Eileen Gbagbo (BSc International Relations 2020)

Alison Carter - Blog editor

August 12th, 2020

Eileen Gbagbo

Recent BSc IR graduate Eileen Gbagbo shared her thoughts with us about her time at LSE and her future plans

Why did you choose to study International Relations at LSE?

I chose to study International Relations after interning at The Economist’s China desk during my time at Sixth Form. I learnt so much about how to discuss and frame China’s actions internationally and after a conversation with James Miles, he suggested studying International Relations at LSE to me.

What was your favourite thing about your course or the department?

My final year! I loved the courses that were available, especially Visual International Politics and Empire & Conflict. They really helped me tie together a lot of different ideas and gave me the idea for my dissertation.

This year you undertook a research project with the US Centre. Could you tell us a little bit about your research project? 

I worked with Dr Imaobong Umoren looking at race and gender from a historic and contemporary perspective. I mainly researched the comparative political participation of Black women in the UK, US and the Caribbean. Working as a Research Assistant helped me to develop my primary research skills, particularly finding and analysing archival material.

You’ve written for gal-dem magazine about the history of anti-racist student occupation movements in the UK, and write poetry. What subjects inspire you to write?

I write as a way to process things. Most recently, I’ve been really interested in forms of protests, like autobiographical literature by Black women and the types of civil disobedience that informed the international decolonial movements of the 50s & 60s.

Read Eileen’s gal-dem magazine article

Is there any particular person, place, or thing you’ll particularly miss about LSE?

The view from the top of the Centre building! Especially when the sun is setting.

Do you have any idea what you’d like to do after you finish your degree?

I’d like to work in Journalism – the ultimate goal is to be a foreign correspondent.

Find out more about Eileen at her journalism portfolio.

Follow her on LinkedIn.

Alison Carter - Blog editor

Posted In: Featured alumni