Explore the history of behind the places on LSE’s campus – past and present.
LSE’s sportsground opened in 1921 and among the many sports taking place at the new ground, in Malden, Surrey, was tennis. There was a tennis club and games took between staff and students. These images from the 1920s introduce tennis at LSE.
Tennis club, 1920:
Staff and student tennis, 1926 (William Beveridge (centre) on his left Vera Anstey, behind her Professor Arthur Sargent, to his […]
These fantastic photos from the LSE Library Flickr site tell the story of football at LSE, 1930s-1980s.
Students v Porters Football, 1936. There used to be a match every year between the porters and students for the ‘Blotto Cup’ which was an old tea caddy. There was a dance in the evening following the football:
The porters won the match. (Alan […]
LSE’S early accommodation was modest but set the model for the School’s location in the heart of London – between the City, government and the law.
From 1895 to 1902 the School was based in the Adelphi, an area between the Strand and the Thames, developed between 1768-1774 by the Adam brothers – John, Robert, James and William. The development […]
The Founders’ Room, or as it is more popularly known the Shaw Library, is much loved by students and staff past and present as a place to read, snooze or eat your lunch. LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly reveals how this quiet haven on the top of the Old Building came into existence.
The Founders’ Room
The sixth floor of the Old […]
Tucked away on Clement’s Inn Passage, the Anchorage, was built in the early 1800s, writes LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly. The building only became part of LSE’s estate in 1970 and was demolished in 2015.
In the early twentieth century the property was bought by the Reverend William Pennington-Bickford, rector of St Clement Danes Church, becoming the vicarage. The front of […]
For 60 years LSE shared Clare Market with two significant neighbours: the St Clement’s Press and the Government Laboratory. LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly investigates.
The government established the Government Laboratory in 1842. Based in the City of London the Laboratory’s initial role was guarding against the adulteration of tobacco and protecting the government’s revenue. Following the 1875 Sale of […]
When the Clare Market building (1968-2015) opened it marked the culmination of an ambition, beginning with William Beveridge in the 1930s, to extend LSE along Houghton Street. LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly introduces the history of an ambition that took over 30 years to come to fruition.
1930s – War service
In 1932 LSE took over the leases of both 17 Houghton Street, […]
Were you at LSE in the 1960s? LSE alumnus James Thomas Emmerson shares the recipe for Mrs Ellis’s rock cakes.
In the 1960s (before the Troubles), the School was known, among other things, for having “arguably the worst food north of the Thames.” At least that was the Sunday Observer’s characterisation of the daily fare dispensed on the third floor. Such judgements […]
On 28 May 1920 George V and Queen Mary left Buckingham Palace in an open carriage escorted by the Life Guards, writes LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly. They were accompanied by Herbert Fisher, Minister for Education and as they approached St Clement Danes the church bells began to ring. Halting on Clare Market the royal party entered Passmore Edwards Hall […]