Explore the history of behind the places on LSE’s campus – past and present.

Swingin’ 60s and rockin’ rock cakes

Were you at LSE in the 1960s? LSE alumnus James Thomas Emmerson shares the recipe for Mrs Ellis’s rock cakes.

In the 1960s (before the Troubles), the School was known, among other things, for having “arguably the worst food north of the Thames.” At least that was the Sunday Observer’s characterisation of the daily fare dispensed on the third floor. Such judgements […]

  • Permalink Gallery

    A royal visit – laying the foundation stone of the Old Building

A royal visit – laying the foundation stone of the Old Building

On 28 May 1920 George V and Queen Mary left Buckingham Palace in an open carriage escorted by the Life Guards, writes LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly. They were accompanied by Herbert Fisher, Minister for Education and as they approached St Clement Danes the church bells began to ring. Halting on Clare Market the royal party entered Passmore Edwards Hall […]

Suffragettes and LSE – early neighbours

Now home to LSE, 20 Kingsway used to house the Tea Cup Inn – a tea shop for suffragettes. The offices of the Women’s Social and Political Union were at Clement’s Inn and their newspaper printed at the St Clement’s Press on Clare Market. Hayley Reed finds that if you look closely traces of the suffragettes, LSE’s early neighbours, can still […]

  • Permalink Gallery

    Lest we forget 1914-1918 – LSE’s First World War roll of honour

Lest we forget 1914-1918 – LSE’s First World War roll of honour

The LSE war memorial hangs alongside the Old Theatre in Old Building and lists the names of 70 staff and students who lost their lives in the First World War, writes LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly. Seventy lives telling seventy stories.

Between 1914 and 1918 the School Governors received regular reports of staff and students who had enlisted, received honours and […]

Remembrance at LSE – the first war memorial

The move to commission, design and erect a First World War memorial was begun by the Students’ Union in 1921, writes LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly. It was unveiled in a ceremony in 1923. 

The Students’ Union is anxious to commemorate those students of the School who fell in the Great War, and propose in the first place to erect a memorial […]

Passmore Edwards Hall

LSE Archivist Sue Donnelly explores the School’s move to its first purpose-built home. The site around Clare Market was chosen due to slum clearance, and Passmore Edwards Hall was completed in 1902. It is now part of the Old Building.

In its early years LSE occupied two rented houses in John Street and Adelphi Terrace, south of the Strand and […]

June 30th, 2014|Places|2 Comments|