IMT offers all LSE staff and students the opportunity to gain a Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification at a discounted rate.

MOS is a worldwide recognised IT qualification, which validates skills in the Microsoft Office suite of programmes. With three graduated levels available: Specialist (core), Expert, and Master, there is a MOS learning package suitable for every skill level.

Delivered by our IT Training Team, MOS certification can be taken in both Office 2013 and 2010.

LSE IT News recently sat down with Harmish Mehta, a learner who is one exam away from being a MOS Master, to find out his thoughts on the qualification and what insight he could give on MOS for others who might be interested in enhancing their Office skills.

Harmish_banner

What are you doing at LSE and how long have you been on the MOS journey?

I studied Law at LSE which isn’t clearly linked to needing MOS. However as I’m doing some legal research and hoping to get a paper published, I’ve found having an in depth knowledge of Excel is helping as I process the data from my research.

I’ve actually had quite a long history with MOS, starting in college where I studied for certification in Office 2007 before moving to 2010 qualifications and now I’m sitting exams in Office 2013 at LSE.

What does it take to be a Master? Can you talk us through the process?

There is more than one master track, for Office 2013, there are a few routes to getting a Master qualification. You wouldn’t have to do all of the MS exams but there are a few different combinations of exams required to take in order to get the qualification. You can get a better idea of this on the MOS webpage.

Each track requires you to sit 4 exams, and it depends on what you’re looking for personally and what benefits you the most, in choosing which track you go along.

What made you decide to go past the standard MOS Certification and pursue being a ‘Master’?

After my first exam, I began to reap the benefits and I found the new things I’d learnt were actually really useful for my studies. The more exams I prepared for and passed, the more productive I was being with Office applications.

I chose to pursue the Master certification because it’s a way of proving that you are accomplished in a Microsoft Office application, and I wanted to show I had an all-round grasp of Microsoft Office for future employers.

What would you say you have gained from doing MOS?

I think mostly, the knowledge of features in Excel that I would never have learned or known had it not been for this. The way the course is structured means you learn and are introduced to features which should help you in any industry.

What do you plan on doing with your pending title?

I plan on making people call me Master Harmish! Seriously though, I will be adding it to my CV.

Have you considered going for the MOS Championship?

I have thought about it. The MOS Championship is a global competition where you are picked to represent your country if you get the best score in a specialist exam (Word, Excel or PowerPoint).

One of my friends actually competed last year, Linh Tran was the UK MOS Champion in Excel and got to the World Finals in Dallas last August. From everything she’s said it was a fantastic experience.

I’m hoping to qualify for the national heats (taking place in Slough) – apart from getting a great score on your exam, you need to be between 13-22 (as of June 15 2016) to take part.

The championship this year will be held in Florida, you can find out more on their website.

How long on average would you say it takes to study for a qualification?

Each qualification tends to take 4-20 hours of study but it varies from person to person.  Those are the 2 extremes, but I’d recommend visiting our website and seeing what is included in each package offered. That should give you a rough idea of where you stand on the course and possibly how long it would take you to complete.

What advice would you give to someone considering doing MOS or further being a MOS Master?

I think when it comes to MOS, it’s about picking the one you need. My advice would be to those pursuing it for career purposes, to contact someone in the field and see which MS applications are the most important and relevant. Because of the time and costs involved I would say know which is most beneficial for you and start there.

I think it is also beneficial to proving to employers especially, that beyond saying you are good at a particular application, there’s proof through this exam that you are as good as you say.

For more information about Microsoft Office Specialist Certification, please see the MOS webpage.