Three years ago LSE moved into the Office 365 (O365) environment with a subscription to Microsoft’s education plan. While there have been considerable benefits for the School (e.g free Microsoft Office downloads for staff and students on up to 10 devices), IMT has also faced a few challenges, particularly because we do not have oversight of Microsoft’s release cycle.
As Microsoft actively develops O365, adding new tools and functionality automatically to our provision, being ready with adequate support arrangements and user guidance immediately, has sometimes proved difficult.
Before making the decision on whether we can fully support a Microsoft release, IMT needs to test the new application in the LSE environment and against our policies.
Therefore, to help users see and track how we support O365 applications, we have developed a Services Policy Matrix:
Service Level Definitions Explained
There are four levels of support available for O365 applications; managed, supported, unsupported and blacklisted:
- Applications in this section are usually core services which IMT proactively monitors and provide training or guidance on. If you have any technical issues, we will assist you.
- O365 apps like Access and OneNote are supported by our IT Service Desk and relevant teams. We will respond to support queries but may not proactively advertise these services.
- Using an application in this section is at your own risk, meaning IMT will not be able to provide technical support should you have any issues.
- We will only blacklist applications which are considered unsafe or interfere which our existing applications/environment or policies.
The matrix will be regularly reviewed and updated as new features become available and/or when IMT support arrangements are put in place. Meaning, O365 applications could move between the four support levels at any point. While something is in the unsupported or blacklisted section today, they may become a supported or managed service at a later date.
If you would like to know more about our support arrangements or why an application has their current service level, please do not hesitate to get in touch:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (staff and postgraduate students)
- email@example.com (taught students)
- 020 7107 5000
*Interested in using Information Rights Management? Please contact our Information Security Team directly to discuss your requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org