There we have it, my last exam finished, marking the end of another year at LSE. Now that I’m free for the summer I’ve had ample time to reflect on the past year and in particular the SADL project. Spanning over four workshops, the project brought together statistics and social policy students, guinea pigs happy to participate in SADL’s first outing.

Throughout the project we eager ambassadors soaked up all there was to know about digital literacy, from effective researching to digital identities. Like the unassuming garden ant we carried this beacon of knowledge to our fellow students, weighing down upon us like a leaf…or twig (you understand the ant analogy, right?) Without sounding like too much of a raving idiot, the core of the project remains, as ambassadors we would in turn share what we learn with our fellow students.

However, throughout the project I came to realise that digital literacy is more than just a sort of online competency. If we take our digital identities for example, the more digitally literate we are the better we appear online. It becomes more like a mask we put on when we use social media. I couldn’t help but think of this advertisement for Holiday Inn Express:

It’s one of those really bad adverts that somehow gets muddled up in your brain until you find yourself chuckling at its stupidity. Yet in this age of the keyboard warrior, its message still rings true. We are not the same person online. Given a platform where we can embellish every aspect of ourselves, it becomes much more important to be able to utilise your digital literacy to the fullest. If everyone around you can muster up a better digital mask than you can, then unfortunately you get left behind.

The SADL project is so important because it works to educate us in digital literacy. Today your appearance online is as important as your appearance in real life, and that all important first impression is increasingly being made online. As a result I now view digital skills with much more importance, and I actively work to incorporate them into the way that I learn at LSE. I look forward to playing a part in how the SADL project evolves next year and to sharing everything with my fellow peers. Until next year SADL!!