Hello again from Edinburgh. Just a quick update on last night’s ghostly tour which Steve thinks was not at all scary and for me was rather like an episode from Most Haunted. Let’s just say I was a lot happier when I got in the pub and had a drink in my hand rather than in a very dark and spooky vault! If you like to see a photo of me go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25498841@N00/236942137/

Anyway, onto the conference. This morning I attended a session on repositories and whether they’d had their day and were a failed technology. A group from the West Midlands Share project. We had quite a lively debate. The speakers were mainly talking about learning object repositories and we also had some contributions from the audience who were familiar with institutional repositories for research content. We talked about about the issues managing both teaching and research content in repositories and whether this is desirable and possible – interesting and highly relevant to MIDESS!

The keynote was Tim O’Shea from University of Edinburgh who is another great proponent of libraries and sees the digital assets and digital curation as being central to the success of research-led universities and really important for e-learning. Once again I find myself nodding lots and feeling that LSE has been leading the way integrating learning technology and libraries. Steve has promised to post something further later today, and I’ll be in touch either later today or tomorrow. It’s the conference dinner tonight at the Dynamic Earth centre which I’m looking forward to!