We are planning our move to a new version of Moodle in Summer 2012 and need volunteers to pilot it during Lent 2012.
There is a new version of Moodle: Moodle 2. Earlier this year we explained Why LSE is sticking with Moodle 1.9 for 2011/2. We are now preparing to implement Moodle 2 next Summer. To help with the preparation we are looking for some courses to pilot it in Lent 2012.
The new version of Moodle is better:
- It will offer us possibilities we haven’t had before. It will be possible to integrate it with other LSE systems, such as LSE for You.
- There’s some new functionality. For example, conditional activities will enable you to control students’ access to items based on conditions, such as the completion of another activity.
- Existing functionality has been improved. For example, there’s a new wiki tool.
One more reason: our current version of Moodle will not be supported by the Moodle organisation in the long term so we have to move at some point to continue to offer a robust, secure service.
In many respects Moodle won’t be much different and it won’t be a case of learning it all over again. It will look different, as we will take this opportunity to improve its visual design.
Help us: Moodle 2 Pilots
To help us prepare for the full introduction of Moodle 2 in summer 2012 we are planning to have some lent-term courses use it in 2012. If you are interested in trying Moodle 2 first please let us know by emailing email@example.com. Two requirements:
- Your course must be a Lent-only course
- You will need time to work with us during Michaelmas term to prepare your course in Moodle 2. We will provide lots of one-to-one assistance but you will need to do some of the work to help us evaluate what support staff will need next summer.