How to ‘Release’ grades and feedback in Moodle!
It’s this time of the year! Marking is in progress, and you will soon need to Release grades and feedback to students via Moodle!
Don’t forget Marking Workflow is enabled for all Moodle Assignments! You need to Release the grades and feedback for students!
Firstly, the Marking workflow in Moodle is a great feature. It enables teachers to add grades and feedback to student submissions and allow them to ‘Release’ (reveal the grades and feedback) at the same time for all students when they choose to do so.
How to ‘Release’ grades and feedback to students?
Considering Marking workflow is enabled for all newly created Assignments in Moodle (2019/20), you must ‘Release’ the grades and feedback to students. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Click the Assignment link and View all assignments.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and under Options > Assignments per page select All to get all assignments to display on one page.
3. Select the submissions for which you want to use marking workflow using the Select box on the left of each submission – to select all submissions, click the Select all box under Select.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and from the drop-down menu With selected… select Set marking workflow state and click Go.
5. On the screen that appears, and from the drop-down menu Marking workflow state, select Released. You can choose to Notify students by selecting Yes to generate an email. Click Save changes.
6. Students will be able to review their grades and feedback.
N.B. If blind marking is in use with marking workflow, the grades are released regardless of whether student identities have been revealed. However, you and other markers are likely to want to reveal identities at some point. You can find the option to Reveal student identities in the Grading action drop-down menu at the top of the submissions table. You need to have Teacher (Editor) or higher access to do this.
If you experience problems releasing grades and feedback to your students, get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org