Wan Yee Fok

August 10th, 2017

Life after BSc Management

Wan Yee Fok

August 10th, 2017

Life after BSc Management

Career. Job. Employment. These words, and any other words even vaguely associated with them, have always struck a deep chord of fear within me. That chord has resonated especially strongly this year, as it was my last year of study at LSE. That’s right, I am now a graduate.

Even though the run-up to my graduation was clouded by some dread, I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I needn’t have been so scared of my induction into the ‘real world’. LSE helps you get ready for it. The university’s motto is ‘to know the causes of things’, and this will be infused into your outlook on life. You will be armed to think more critically and analytically, and the world will be so much more interesting as a result.

More specifically, the BSc Management programme enables students to develop a comprehensive collection of skills, and a rich variety  of knowledge. You are covered, whether the problem at hand concerns accounting, commercial law or any of the multitude of relevant subjects for today’s business world. LSE develops you into a person able to take on any challenge.

The paths a BSc Management student may take after graduation are numerous. There is no one ‘right’ road. This point was made even more apparent to me after speaking to a few of my fellow Management students. A good number have decided to pursue a Master’s immediately after graduation. Indeed, a friend of mine is looking forward to starting a Master’s in Finance and Accounting at Imperial College Business School this coming academic year. Moreover, I’ve heard of BSc Management students applying to an assortment of Master’s, from law to investment management. So, if a Master’s has a place in your plans for the future, be sure to explore all the options that pique your interest! Chances are, you’ll probably be eligible to apply.

Many of my friends have decided to enter the working sphere instead. Some will be heading to one of the big five accounting firms, others to banks, and still others to conglomerates to be management trainees. This is in no way an exhaustive list.

Some have decided to pursue their careers or further education back at home, while there are those who have chosen to remain in the UK. You don’t have to feel boxed in by these two options though! Several people have made the decision to set roots down in new places. For example, a few of my cohort will be studying their Master’s in the USA.

If you’re panicking, stop. Working and doing a Master’s do not paint the whole spectrum of ‘life after BSc Management’. Remember that the paths are numerous. Limitless, even. Some of my peers have also chosen to take a gap year, to travel the world, learn a new language, or do some volunteer work abroad. One of my friends is hoping to complete a Master’s in Management after taking a gap year to help with her parent’s business.

With regards to myself, I think I am lodged firmly in the gap year category. Maybe it won’t be a year, but I have yet to find that out. I’m still a bit lost as to what I want to do, and where I want to do it. In the meantime, I’m hoping to learn a new instrument and improve my Cantonese.

That’s all the wisdom I can impart on this topic of ‘life after’. Hopefully it can help ease some of the worries you may have towards what comes next following your undergraduate degree. There are infinite options. Faced with them, it’s okay to be a bit confused, and to not know exactly what you’re doing. I know you’ll be raring to go soon. Most of the time, things do happen for a reason. Luckily for you, as an LSE student, you’ll come to know the causes of them, and find the right path for you.

Good luck!

LSE BSc Management student

Wan Yee Fok

BSc Management student 2014-17

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens