Pamina Husseini

January 9th, 2020

Managing studies, job applications and social life at LSE

Pamina Husseini

January 9th, 2020

Pamina Husseini shares her experience of the intensive, one year Master’s in Management (MiM) at LSE. How to maintain a work/life balance and tips on how to manage studies, apply for jobs and have a social life without falling behind.

MiM 2019-2020 cohort

Hi, I’m Pamina.

I’m currently completing the one-year Master’s in Management (MiM) at LSE.

One common question applicants have is – “with such an intensive and short-term course, will I have time to apply for jobs and have a social life without falling behind?

If you want to know more about this, welcome, you’re in the right place!

Workload and job applications

While there’s a wide range of industries MiM students are interested in, most of us want to pursue a career in consulting or investment banking. For these types of job, it’s crucial to apply early.

Luckily, the workload is manageable (for now, at least). We don’t have classes on Mondays, and between 2 and 4 contact hours a day for the rest of the week. We don’t have exams this Winter, and only had a couple of assignments to submit this term.

As job applications can be stressful, here are my tips:

1. Make the most out of the support offered by LSE.
  2. Get your cover letters reviewed by career consultants.
  3. Attend networking events.
  4. Ask your classmates for help!

While I thought that everyone would be competitive for job applications, a few of my classmates have spent entire afternoons preparing for assessment centres together, which is a nice surprise.

Finally, don’t be put off by LSE if you’re not into banking or consulting – I want to work as an entrepreneur or in the arts, and I’m very happy to be on the course!

If you don’t need to apply early for jobs, make the most out of this term and get involved in societies, explore London, or rest!

…don’t be put off by LSE if you’re not into banking or consulting – I want to work as an entrepreneur or in the arts, and I’m very happy to be on the course!

Social life at LSE

Here is the thing… there are (too) many things to do at LSE!

The Department of Management organises several events a term for us. We recently went ice-skating at Winter Wonderland and then treated ourselves with Christmassy food!

The GMS (Graduate Management Society) also offers plenty of opportunities to spend time with your fellow management students.

However, don’t stay only within your department! LSE has more than 200 societies to choose from. It’s an easy way to meet people studying different subjects and from different years of study.

Finally, don’t limit yourself to LSE. You’re in London. There are many other great universities in the city and interesting people to be friends with. For instance, I attended a couple of talks run by Kings and Imperial, and it was a great experience.

So, make the most out of London!

Procrastinating smartly

Ahh this feeling that we know so well… If you feel bad about procrastinating, think about engaging in different activities to take a break from studying but still be productive.

It doesn’t have to be expensive – join an LSE sports team to exercise, go to a free exhibition at a museum, attend talks or workshops organised by societies.

In my case, I love to do plenty of extra-curriculars. This year I’m a student ambassador at LSE and developing a start-up with Kickstart (entrepreneurship programme in London). Outside of university, I do kickboxing twice a week and play in an orchestra.

But sometimes, remember to take a “real” break and give yourself time to recover. You’ll feel more energised the day after.

If you struggle to get through your degree, LSE has a large range of services available to help you, so don’t hesitate to ask for help!

I hope this blog was helpful. Contact me or my fellow student ambassadors if you have any questions!

I’m now going to get myself that hot chocolate to push through term.

See you soon!

Learn more about our Master’s in Management programme

Pamina Husseini headshot

Pamina Husseini

Master’s in Management (MiM) student 2019 - 20

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens