Daniel Rosenthal

January 28th, 2020

Top 3 “Best Cafés” at LSE

Daniel Rosenthal

January 28th, 2020

Top 3 “Best Cafés” at LSE

Study spots or lunch in between lectures. Hot and cold drinks, americano to coconut water. He’s back! Postgraduate student, Dan Rosenthal, in the MSc Human Resources and Organisations programme studying Organisational Behaviour shares his top 3 cafés to visit at LSE. 

Plaza Cafe at LSE

Hi everyone – I hope you all had a great holiday season full of hot chocolate, sparkling lights and celebration as we ended the decade.

As we start Lent Term at LSE, I’ve got more places for you to visit on campus.

If you remember, my last post mentioned some of my go-to study spots outside of the more common ones within the library. Studying aside, there is so much to do on LSE’s campus between classes and one of my favourite things to do is stop by a café to catch-up with friends or watch a quick episode of Peaky Blinders.

LSE has numerous restaurants and cafés right on campus where you can grab a tea or coffee and is surrounded by many others within a 5 minute walking distance.

Suddenly, those 9.00am lectures don’t seem so bad, do they?

Here are three of my top places on campus to get your caffeine intake or something to eat…

The Garrick Café

The Garrick Cafe LSE

I mentioned this one in my last blog post (Best Places to Study), and you might continue to see it as I’m quite partial to it.

The Garrick Café, although LSE owned and operated, sits on the edge of campus right at the intersection of Houghton Street and Aldwych, serving students and local Londoners alike.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it had a 4.1 rating on Google upon writing this post, as it justifies me going there about once a day. The Garrick has two floors, with the top floor serving various coffees, teas, cakes and other light fare, while the bottom floor serves more traditional, sit down meals throughout the day.

Students receive a free coffee or tea when they purchase breakfast on the lower level. There is lots of space and you are usually guaranteed to see someone you know if you stay long enough.

It is a great spot to work or people watch, and the staff are good at reminding you to use your LSE Food app to earn some points. Stop by for traditional espresso beverages and to catchup with friends.

The Shaw Café

shaw cafe

Also situated at the edge of campus, Shaw is a new LSE café that specialises in serving vegetarian and vegan options Monday through Friday.

It is located on the ground floor of the New Academic Building (NAB) making it a busy, but ideal place for students in the Department of Management to visit before or after classes throughout the week.

In addition to serving delicious food that changes daily, the Shaw has your standard espressos, americanos, lattes, teas, etc. (along with your choice of oat, almond, coconut or soya milk) as well as speciality drinks like the matcha, turmeric, or beetroot lattes.

They also have delicious iced beverages, smoothies, and some healthy wellness shots. Check out their sample menu.

No matter when you stop by, you’ll hear dynamic music playing, which you can groove to while waiting in line.

The Plaza Café

Plaza Cafe

At some point during your time at LSE – and probably more days than not – you’ll find yourself walking to the library to study, work on a group project, or participate in a workshop at LSE Life.

On your way, stop by the Plaza café which sits right outside the library and along the central hub of campus near the new Centre Building.

Made up of glass windows, this café is very well lit and another great place to people watch. In the nicer weather, feel free to grab something for take away and sit at the tables outside. Enjoy a panini, soup or grab sushi to go. As far as drinks go, you’ll find an assortment of hot and cold drinks, ranging from americanos to coconut water. During the holiday season, you may even spot a reindeer on the roof.

Thanks for staying with me! I hope you enjoyed some of my favourite spots at LSE.

Dan

Learn more about our MSc Human Resources and Organisations programme

Daniel Rosenthal

Daniel Rosenthal

Organisational Behaviour - MSc Human Resources and Organisations 2019-20

Posted In: Student life | The Student Lens