Laura Prelez Alcaide

July 9th, 2021

4 things about MISDI I wish I knew before joining

1 comment | 3 shares

Laura Prelez Alcaide

July 9th, 2021

1 comment | 3 shares

When I first heard about the LSE ‘Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation’ (MISDI) programme, many questions popped into my head. At first, I thought this programme was just about studying new technological trends and learning about hardware, software and coding. But after doing more research into the programme, I finally gained an understanding into what it’s really about. Now, as a current MISDI student, I can say that MISDI encompasses a lot more than just the study of technology.  

In this blog, I address the 4 key questions I asked myself before joining the programme and I hope these questions will also be useful for those of you who are looking to apply.

1. Do I need a technical background to join MISDI?

The question of whether you need a technical background for MISDI was one that concerned me before applying. I soon learned that the answer is simple: no, you don’t need a technical background. If you have studied computer science or have experience in programming, that’s great! It will help you understand certain concepts from a technical perspective. If you don’t have that kind of experience, that’s great too! The fact that MISDI is a multidisciplinary course is what makes it unique. There are people that come from a wide range of degrees, such as business management, linguistics, English literature, finance, computer science, and so on. You might think that you are at a disadvantage if your degree sounds somewhat unrelated to MISDI, but the skills you will bring to the cohort are unique and will allow you to see the concepts studied from a different perspective.

So, the bottom line is that whatever your background is, it will give you a unique advantage. The only things you do need in order to study MISDI is passion and motivation. With that, be assured that you have the necessary skills to succeed, regardless of your academic or professional background.

2. What exactly will I be learning in the MISDI programme?

Another question I asked myself is, what exactly will I be learning in the MISDI programme? Now I understand that MISDI takes a ‘socio-technical’ approach to technology. In other words, it combines the technical and social contexts and looks at how technology interacts with and is embedded in the context in which it resides.

The core courses provide the fundamentals for the programme and include the famous ‘Sprint Week’, a 5-day bootcamp that is essentially a simulation of a real-life technology management consultancy project. In my year, we worked in a team to design and develop an innovative solution for Visa, alongside Roland Berger.

3. What are the exit routes after the programme?

There are many exit routes after the programme. A few popular ones include management or technological consulting, business analyst roles, product management and some people also explore the possibility of opening up a business or continuing their studies by pursuing a PhD.

4. What does the workload look like in MISDI?

Like any other masters programme at the LSE, there is a lot going on in the MISDI programme. But the good news is, it is completely doable if you manage your time effectively. A good tip is also to find yourself a good study group early on, so that you can exchange ideas and reading notes. Also, while the study hours are long, on the bright side, the views from campus make it worth it! For instance, the picture to the right, was taken from the 18th floor of the Centre Building on campus.

When I compare my initial perception of MISDI with how I understand it now, I see that there is a lot of disparity. I hope that my answer to these 4 questions is useful to MISDI offer holders or to those who are interested in applying but are unsure of what the program entails!

Laura Prelez Alcaide

MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation student 2020/21

Posted In: In the classroom | The Student Lens