Charlie Beckett

Compassionate coterie: Huff Post and the citizen (guest post)

Charlie Beckett

In SuperMedia I describe what network journalism is – a collaborative practice where professionals and amateurs work together to get the real story, building on each other’s perspective, knowledge, and experience to build a more comprehensive story of the news. The question is, have we got there yet? And will it work? Here is guest-blogger Eli Lipmen’s take on the latest initiative from the Huffington Post.

Today, the Huffington Post – a truly ‘new media’ news organization because it is only available online – took a step much closer towards ‘network journalism’. Every Sunday, the editor of its ‘Eat the Press’ section Jason Linkins, liveblogs the weekend political discussion in the United States. The editor sent out a post asking regular readers of Huffington Post to join his effort by signing up to be ‘media monitors’. He says:

“Over the past year, I’ve gone from regretting that I have only my two eyeballs to cast on the media to understanding that there is an army of people who care just as passionately about the state of the world that they’re willing to keep an eye on it with me.”

This collaborative helps ‘professional’ journalist to ‘fill in the gaps’ when he isn’t able to watch ever show or observe every controversial point. Linkins asks readers to “come along for the ride” by signing up via a web form.

This is network journalism in action – utilizing the passion and skills of readers to help journalist get out the information that is relevant and necessary for an informed citizenry.

The question is, will this work. I would be interested to see how many people actually participate and how sustainable it will be. I would not be surprised if he signs ups a compassionate coterie of ‘amateur’ journalists who can contribute to this newsgathering.

This post by Eli Lipmen.

Charlie Beckett

Posted In: