Editor

Meet LSE South Asia Centre’s MSc Ambassadors

Editor

The LSE South Asia Centre Student Ambassador programme is a fantastic opportunity for LSE Masters students to gain experience with the LSE South Asia Centre’s digital team throughout 2019/20. This year, two students are assisting the Centre’s online work during the Michaelmas, Lent and Summer terms.

Supriya Ravishankar (Social Media and Events Ambassador)

“I am currently doing a MSc degree in International Relations. Before LSE, I completed an undergraduate degree in Political Science from St. Xaviers College (Mumbai, India). Coming to London from Mumbai has given me a bird’s-eye view, rather than an inside view, of the region I belong to.

Studying at LSE, which is celebrated for its vibrant international community, has given me the opportunity to interact with people from across the world and learn from their insights and experiences. You never really feel like you’re an international student here because the school itself is so international in orientation and composition – it makes you understand where you come from and your identity in profound ways.

Studying IR also made me realise that the 21st century cannot be studied without acknowledging the rising prominence of South Asia. The plurality of cultures and religions that the region houses makes it a hotbed of cultural-based politics and conflicts. It’s a region that needs to be studied as an entity with a unique identity and challenges of its own. The LSE South Asia Centre approaches the region in this way; it publishes articles and organises talks that covers a wide spectrum of topics to study the region in a holistic manner. By attending these sessions and writing about them, I have learnt through the practical experiences and research of the speakers who range from politicians to academics.” Read Supriya’s ‘Event Summary: India’s Foreign Policy’.

Sahima Gupta (Social Media and Events Ambassador)

“Hi, everyone! I’m Sahima, and this year, I’ll be serving as the Student Ambassador for the LSE South Asia Blog. Currently, I’m pursuing my MSc in International Relations. Before LSE, I majored in Political Science with a specialised focus on humanitarian crises, including the Rohingya refugee crisis in Myanmar and Bangladesh.

My research interests include post-colonialism, modernity, failed states, urgent conflicts, humanitarian assistance, identity and human rights. South Asia has gained immense prominence in the study of International Relations for its complex cultural and social networks, and its importance to the global economy. I would like my research at LSE to focus on how some of these matters affect relations between India and Bangladesh.

My time at the LSE has been incredible. I have had the opportunity to interact with brilliant people from all over the world. Apart from being academically challenging, the stimulating environment at LSE has facilitated immense personal growth and crystallisation of my future goals. Working as a student blogger has been the most exciting part since it allows me to share different perspectives. LSE is an encompassing space, which has inspired me to work towards making a difference.” Follow Sahima on LinkedinRead Sahima’s article Desecularization in India: The resurgence of religion under Modi.

This article gives the views of the author, and not the position of the South Asia @ LSE blog, nor of the London School of Economics.

Editor

Posted In: Featured | LSE

Jaipur Palace

CONTRIBUTE

South Asia @ LSE welcomes contributions from LSE faculty, fellows, students, alumni and visitors to the school. Please write to southasia@lse.ac.uk with ideas for posts on south Asia-related topics.