Sheena

October 30th, 2012

The Scoop: Covent Garden Real Food Market

Sheena

October 30th, 2012

Hi! My name is Sheena and I’m a MSc Global Politics student. I’m originally from Orange County, California. I just earned my BA in Global Studies at UCLA. As you could imagine, I’m still trying to cope with the fact that the weather here in London falls below 18 degrees Celsius.

My interests extend beyond the social sciences – I love watching movies, exploring new cities, and of course, trying new places to eat! My goal is to find delicious yet cheap places to eat at here in London. To be honest, I’ll probably end up writing about other stuff just to mix things up, but for now let’s start with food.

During my first week here, I needed to go to the Apple Store. After attending an orientation event on campus, I headed off to the Covent Garden branch and stumbled upon the Covent Garden Real Food Market.

Located about a six minute walk from campus, this market not only offers an assortment of fresh ingredients, but also food that you can take away. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, you can get a cupcake at Crumbs and Dollies. If you want a pastry, you can pass by the Laveli Bakery for freshly baked goods. If you want something more substantial, you can get food from bratwurst in a bun to empanadas for less than six quid at different booths. The Covent Garden Real Food Market has a variety of food that is both appetizing and decently priced.

The market occurs every Thursday from 11am to 7pm in the East Piazza of the Covent Garden Piazza. To get there from the Old Building on campus, follow these simple directions:

1. Walk south on Houghton Street until you reach Aldwych.
  2. Turn right onto Aldwych.
  3. Turn right onto Catherine St.
  4. Turn left onto Russell St.
  5. Enter the piazza and the market will be in front of you.

Happy eating!

Sheena

MSc Global Politics

Posted In: News | Off Campus