Rian

Remembrance

Rian

Remembrance

That’s me, with the silly laugh, and my friend Adrian, at the fourth of four pubs we patronized on Friday.  I’ve known Adrian since we were 10 years old, and since he’s studying at Oxford this year we thought we’d take the opportunity to get together for a few hours in London. It’s nice how some things stay the same.

Today, as most of you probably know, is Remembrance Day in the UK.  For the past few weeks, it’s been hard to set foot onto a London street without catching sight of one of these: a poppy on the lapel.  They’re ubiquitous at all ages. I’ve seen older folks – clearly veterans – wearing them at about the same rate as the young professionals that seem to have exclusive squatting rights over much of central London.

I briefly considered wearing one myself, but surrendered to the thought that, with only just over a month spent in this country, the pretension would likely overshadow any benefit it might bring. Were I here next November, in contrast, I would absolutely wear one. I suppose by that point I’d feel less like an observer and more like a participant.

Today, though, my thoughts in this short Sunday piece of electronic ephemera are with the soliders, British and American, who fought and died for their countries, for the soldiers who lived, and returned home to a new struggle, for the countless others who served their countries outside the field of battle, and to old friends with whom, every so often, we can share a few hours and a few glasses of mulled wine.

Rian

MSc Public Management and Governance '15; General Course '13.

Posted In: Off Campus