Nat

Pro Tip for Quick Trips!

Nat

Pro Tip for Quick Trips!

Being from Canada and being used to spending upwards of 400$ to get anywhere, my first experience living in Europe last summer led me to take full advantage of quick and cheap travel. Even though I was working I was obsessed with getting to as many places as I could as often as I could. This (fortunately for me and unfortunately for my wallet) led me to take many two-day trips to places I never thought I would visit.

These are the types of trips that are even easier from London and more or less essential when studying. You can’t really take weeks off – especially during the hellish 300 pages a reading a week Masters programs – so a few days travel here and there are your main options.

So, if you’re taking a quick trip to the continent or up north, I have one key piece of advice I’d like to pass along.

My main piece of advice about really seeing a city is…

Go on a walking tour.**

Go!

Go the minute you can, wherever you can!

They’re normally three hours, and free – though you tip the tour guide at the end. The tour guides are always fantastic, knowledgeable people who know their city. And you get to hear quirky stories that you would never be able to otherwise! It’s clear that the best way to see a city is with a local, and if you’re not lucky enough to have friends in every major European city, then this is your best option. I’ve been on the walking tours in Prague, Amsterdam, London, and Edinburgh and each one has been the highlight of my trip.

Even if you’re not the type to go on quick trips, I would suggest going on one of these even in your own city!

** Full disclosure, I have worked as a tour guide for four years and am really, really into tours…

Nat

MSc Comparative Politics (Conflict Studies)

Posted In: Off Campus