Courtney

London Angst: The Search for a Job Continues

Courtney

Despite the fact that I am currently employed part time, I know that this job will only last for the duration of the school year. Thus, the search for a job continues. Being a graduate student, I am well aware of the difficulties of landing that dream job, let alone any job, so why is it that all I keep hearing is how, “really really hard it is” to get into a particular field. I am so sick and tired of hearing that phrase. Most everyone seems to equate difficulty with impossibility as if the only opinion students have after university is to wait until the vultures descend with hunger in their eyes. This “advice” that so many have offered to me is not without its price which is extremely exorbitant. It is corrosive and erodes away all confidence. If I had been similarly “encouraged” as a child, I don’t think I would have ever learned to read or write. It sometimes makes me wonder if this hackneyed phrase derives from actual difficulty or if it is just a covert way of ostracizing others so that a particular field is not inundated. After all, isn’t everything that is worthwhile difficult? I don’t delude myself into thinking that I will be able to pursue each and every one of my dreams but what I do know is this: if I had listened to everyone who had told me that something was just too difficult to pursue, I would have never achieved all that I have today.

Courtney

MSc Empires, Colonialism and Globalisation

Posted In: Off Campus