Sheena

I’ll Be Honest: I Have ZERO Post-Grad Plans

Sheena

What I love about LSE is that people are looking for ways to make a meaningful impact on the world. Whether it’s by working for an international organization (like the UN) or a non-governmental organization (like the Red Cross), I meet people everyday who actively seek to change the world.

However, whenever I have a conversation with someone and we get to the topic of post-grad, and it becomes inevitable that I’ll have to reveal my so-called plans, the simple exchange is usually like this:

Person: So what are you planning to do after graduation?

Me: Post-grad? I actually don’t have any plans.

Person: Are you trying to figure out if you want to work in corporate or government?

Me: No – I have zero plans.

Person: *blank stare* …Oh that’s interesting…

I get it…it doesn’t seem normal to go to LSE without huge ambitions, but here I am. And I’m totally ok with that. I have no idea what I want to go into (besides maybe film/TV, which is a whole other story). What I can say are the following two points:

(1) You have your entire life to work. I’ll be 23 years old when I graduate. The average retirement age for women in the U.S. is 62 years old. If I had a job waiting for me after graduation, I’d work for 39 years before I can live the good life in Hawaii til I die. I think I can afford to take some time off before starting my career.

(2) My experience thus far at LSE has actually equipped me with the skills I need to succeed at whatever I plan to pursue. Let me make it clear that my experience hasn’t just been limited to studying – I’ve been participating in the Drama Society, writing for an academic resource bank, and working on really fun, albeit random projects (read: satirical zombie apocalyptic student film). Like I’ve always believed…you may learn more outside the classroom than inside the classroom.

It’s important to work hard while you’re young, but do take the time to enjoy your life! You’ve only got one!

Sheena

MSc Global Politics

Posted In: LSE | Off Campus