Betty

Paris: some highlights

Betty

Paris: some highlights

One place you must visit at least once while at LSE is Paris (I know, such a cliché). Okay, I was not a big fan of Paris, and I was the one who doubted it, which is why I waited until the end of the year to go. However, I changed my mind after I visited Paris couple weeks ago. I have a couple things to say about this.

view from Pompidou Betty
View from the Pompidou Centre

1. Centre Pompidou, a famous piece of architecture that has strong connections with London. By visiting Centre Pompidou, you can see the architects who designed Lloyd’s Building and the Shard individually, design a ugly/ unique building jointly. Walking down the Metro, you have a fantastic view of Paris, with no need to spend a large amount to climb up the Eiffel Tower (I mean, seriously, when you are ON the tower, you just miss the most important bit of Paris in your view! Okay, it might be worth paying a visit, but I have nothing more to say about it actually).

Eiffel tower at night Betty
The Eiffel tower at night

For those who just arrived London not long ago, you have missed the Roy Lichtenstein which was shown in Tate, but no worries, you can still see it in Paris, Centre Pompidou. You need to be quick though, the exhibition will be finishing soooooon! It might be a long wait before you can see such a complete collection from Roy Lich.

2. Musée d’Orsay was a train station and a hotel one hundred years ago. If this is your first visit, go up to the bridge of second floor, look down to the lobby, you can feel the clock still ticking for the train schedule.

Just to be clear, I am not a museum freak, but it is simply craaaaazy. Its like, you see The Gleaners along with Angelus, and only then you notice they are actually a before-and-after serial. Plus, I mean, where else on earth can you see these two friends’ (Van Gogh and Gauguin) masterpieces, shown side by side?!

I mean where else on earth you can see these two friends' masterpieces, Van Gogh and Gauguin, be shown side by side Betty
I mean where else on earth you can see these two friends’ masterpieces, Van Gogh and Gauguin, be shown side by side?

A bonus when visiting Musee d’Orsay (I mean, if you need any extra bonus),  is that the Pont de l’Archevêché is just right next to it. And THE famous Louvre is only steps away as well. You can easily walk the distances between these major sites.

Important to know: if you are under 25 and a student in the EU, bring some ID and proof of your date of birth. You might just be able to step into any museum for free. Did I say FREEEEEEEE?

Betty

MSc Global Media and Communications @missBeigo

Posted In: LSE | News | Off Campus