reesej1

December 3rd, 2013

Why LSE?

reesej1

December 3rd, 2013

Why LSE?

Emma Rees[1]My history with LSE pre-dates the current MSc in Politics and Communications I am starting by just over three years, as currently I work part-time for research centre LSE Cities and simultaneously prepare to become a student. Working alongside professors, researchers and academics who are incredibly passionate about their subject specialisms and who value educational achievement has inspired my decision to start studying here at the LSE.

But why LSE? The motto for the School is the Latin phrase ‘rerum cognoscere causas‘, which is simply translated as ‘to know the cause of things’. Ultimately it is this desire for development of knowledge and my educational curiosity that drives my decision to further investigate and learn about political communications and its workings in society. In addition to this, with associations of ‘foresight, constructiveness and industrious behaviour’ as represented by the beaver mascot, it is an institution which is very much progressive, forward thinking and constantly striving for excellence. All attractive qualities for a prospective student!

Emma Ress [2]LSE is also unique in its ultimate focus on the social sciences. The interdisciplinary nature of its programmes provides a wider scope for learning beyond the specifically selected course, which is both dynamic and horizon widening. Equally exciting are the public lectures organised by the LSE, which offer the chance to hear from incredibly famous academics as well as world renowned inspirational public figures such as Aung San Suu Kyi and the Dalai Lama. The lectures I have attended are always extremely insightful and the questions posed to speakers incredibly stimulating.

The School itself has an appealing global and cosmopolitan feel both in terms of staff and students, providing the opportunity for a London based student like me to interact and engage with people from across the world and learn about different countries, cultures and societies. I have lived in Malaysia, Australia, Spain and the UK and always found learning about other societies and other people’s lives interesting and inspiring.

Walking down Houghton Street amidst the beautiful buildings and tall trees in a location at the very heart of central London, there is an incredible buzz about the LSE campus and the institution in general. This buzz easily translates into pride and excitement at the prospect of beginning my studies here, at one of the best social sciences institutions in the world.

reesej1

I am an MSc student in Politics and Communications at the LSE and also work part time for research centre LSE Cities. I currently live in Lambeth, London but am originally from the countryside in Buckinghamshire. In my spare time I enjoy reading political biographies, baking and cooking, cycling, travelling when I can and exploring new places in London.

Posted In: LSE | News