Emma Ward

November 10th, 2014

Back For More.

Emma Ward

November 10th, 2014

Back For More.

Hello! I’m Emma, an MSc Sociology student. Tea is my drink of choice and I’m a ‘Friends’ fanatic – seriously, it would be my specialist subject on Mastermind. I’m from London and love all it has to offer…particularly my football club Tottenham Hotspur. I’m not a new LSE student – although I am new to studying an MSc. I completed my undergraduate degree in Sociology at LSE this summer and I’ve come back for more.

When making the decision to delve into postgraduate study, the university I wanted to study at was a no brainer. I wanted another year of LSE life – to study the subject I love at a university where I feel settled, challenged and encouraged to think critically.

When I was 17 and applying for universities I wasn’t quite ready to leave home and this was the same when looking at postgraduate courses. Some say home is where the heart is and for me this is true. London has me hook, line and sinker. Whilst the adventure and allure of a new city or country is tempting for some, this just hasn’t been the case for me and hopefully those of you who live at home can relate to some of my experiences.

If you’re a student from London studying in London – whether at home or in halls, don’t feel like you’re losing out on the experience of living away from your home town, you’ll still live, experience and enjoy university life all the same. If you’re a student from another part of the UK or abroad, your opportunities to explore couldn’t be better. LSE is literally in the centre of London and there are so many places waiting to be explored, this applies to London-based students too!

You’re about to begin, or continue, on a ‘journey’ (talent shows have ruined that word haven’t they?) of essays, exams and lots of reading but with that comes the amazing opportunity of being taught by leading academics and meeting people who come from different walks of life but share similar interests to you and in my opinion, that’s one of the underrated qualities of LSE life.

If you are new, welcome! If you are a returning student like myself, welcome back! Whatever led you to this institution, enjoy LSE life and the opportunities it may bring because the next few months will go quicker than you could’ve imagined!

Emma Ward

Posted In: London life | Student life