Hannah Ferris

May 6th, 2015

How To Avoid Summer Term Stress

Hannah Ferris

May 6th, 2015

How To Avoid Summer Term Stress

When I returned to the LSE campus last week, there was a strange buzz about. The library was packed and even our super secret Social Policy common room was full of students writing essays and revising. Some students say that this is an exciting time at LSE, but personally, I think it’s a bit overwhelming. I have a difficult time studying in the library when it’s so packed and if it weren’t for the occasional ice cream truck on Portugal Street, I’d probably avoid it all together during the Summer Term.

Luckily, I learned all of this when I was a General Course student three years ago. Learning what was best for me and how to strike a healthy balance between studying and leisure helped to improve my ST morale and led to excellent exam outcomes. So this year, summer term has arrived gracefully for me. And I think that my fellow LSE students could benefit from my proven ST success (I’m looking at you, library sleepers!).  I’d like to share some of these tips, as it isn’t too late to make some positive changes to your ST habits!

Tip #1: Find an alternate space to study. Even if you like the LSE Library, a change of scenery may be beneficial. I would tell you my secret study spots around the city, but then… just kidding! I found two of my favorite places off-campus to study in a book called Quiet London by Siobhan Wall.

Hannah's Revisions GoalsTip #2: Make reasonable revision goals. Don’t say that you’re going to read 10 readings in one sitting, that isn’t reasonable! Make a small list each day before you head out to your favorite study spot. I find that writing down my daily revision goals on a Post-it and being able to cross them off makes me feel confident and productive.

Tip #3: Get some exercise. I’m a big yogi, and you don’t need to be, but I’m a firm believer that a healthy body equals a healthy mind. Now that the weather in London is shaping up, walk to campus instead of taking the tube, or take a Saturday afternoon off and cycle around Hyde Park… unless you have hay fever. Then I’d suggest a yoga class or a session on the cardio machines in the gym.

Tip #4: Eat healthy. Again, a healthy body = a healthy mind. I know that when you’re cramming, it’s easiest to binge on Pret or subsist on only Starbucks coffees. But those aren’t healthy habits for your body or for your wallet. I always pack snacks to bring with me – berries, edamame, almonds, and the Goldfish crackers I’ve smuggled back from America with me. I’ve found that snacking all day helps to prevent binges, and if you make healthy choices, your brain will also reward you. Also, I recently read that adding cucumbers to your water is good for your brain, so that’s a new habit I’d like to form.

Tip #5: Organize your study materials. I color code my course materials (green for States and Social Policy, orange for African Political Economy, etc.) and use binder clips and Post-its like they’re going out of style. But there is a method to my office supply madness: I know where to find everything that I need! A great way to keep your course materials organized is to keep materials from Week 1, Week 2, etc. separate and marked as such.

Tip #6: Make time for your friends. I become a recluse when I need to revise. I hide in my secret spots and power off my iPhone for maximum concentration. But at least once a week, I make plans with a friend. This week I’m making dinner and having a blog writing session (surprise!) with a girl friend who just started a vegetarian blog. Having something non-academic to look forward to is important to me. Plus, it’s likely that your friends will be in the same boat: bogged down with essays and revision, they’ll be grateful for the company too!

I hope that these positive revision tips are helpful. They have been for me in the past and are continuing to keep my ST stress at a bay, even as an MSc student.

Best of luck with revision ya’ll!

Hannah Ferris

I'm a member of the MSc Social Policy and Development programme. I’m currently researching the intersection between health and education policies in Africa. I love yoga, surfing (sometimes doing yoga on a surfboard too!), Hillary Clinton, and traveling. I’m the LSE student officer for Team Up and a proud member of the USA Society.