Abi Steadman

Mind Over Matter

Abi Steadman

Mind Over Matter

Chances are, if you’re at LSE, you’re aiming pretty high in life. You don’t come to a school like this if you’re not trying to Be Someone. That might mean being a policymaker, that might mean being a CEO, it might mean making waves in more subtle ways – whatever form your ambition may take, Doing Something is high on the agenda. There’s nothing wrong with having goals and dreaming big…but where does that leave us in terms of our mental health?

If you’re anything like me, you’ll be familiar with the feeling of not being good enough. Trouble is, when you aim so high and expect so much of yourself, you’re often easily disappointed when you, a mere human being, don’t quite manage to be perfect. I am the self-professed Queen of Perfectionism. My brother genuinely thinks I’m bonkers; he doesn’t see why getting a 2.2 on an essay could possibly be a cause for a meltdown, and of course he’s absolutely right. One 2.2 is not going to hurt. Even four 2.2s is not going to ruin your life in the way we expect it will (most people, after all, don’t get firsts – and most people are totally fine). But even so, it can be really hard to keep this perspective when you want so much to Achieve. Naturally, this means that ambitious people are pretty vulnerable to feeling like failures; this can motivate us to try harder, or it can lead us into the shadow of mental illness.

This has been my big battle at LSE: how can I take care of myself without sacrificing my ambition altogether? I’m not saying I have all the answers for everyone, but I’ve found a few things that have helped me stay sane on my mission to Change the World. If you have anything to add to this list, please feel free to comment. LSE can be a really daunting place to be if you’re struggling, so the more strategies shared the merrier!

1. Get enough sleep! The brain literally doesn’t function if it’s tired. Caffeine can give you a temporary boost, but the subsequent crash is likely to make you feel even more stressed and unable to cope. Contrary to what your teachers might say, napping is great for learning.
  2. EAT. Think of your brain like an engine: if you don’t put the fuel in, it’s not going to run. You are never “too busy” to feed yourself. What you eat and when you eat it has a tangible impact on your concentration and your mood. Never underestimate the wrath of an empty stomach!
  3. Treat yourself. Studying is always going to be mighty depressing if the only thing you’ve got on the horizon is more studying. Incentives are so important. See friends, take a bath, go for a run – whatever makes you feel good about you will help keep you from burning out.
  4. Talk to people. Can’t emphasise this one enough. No one is an island, my dears – we all need our support networks. You might feel like you’re bothering people with your silly worries, but nothing that makes you sad is silly and the people who care won’t feel bothered. Never feel ashamed to reach out.

Abi Steadman