Anton Jarrod

March 21st, 2016

Things still left to do

Anton Jarrod

March 21st, 2016

Things still left to do

As the end of teaching approaches, my thoughts to turn to both exams (people are starting to talk about this now), as well as “all the things I had intended to do but haven’t yet”, which is to say, the partaking of many of the delights of student life that have yet to be experienced. I name some of them here.

Public lectures: it is shocking how few of these I have been able to attend. Not because of availability (although there was one public lecture I couldn’t attend because of ticket shortages: Amartya Sen’s lecture sold out pretty quickly), but because of time. I remember attending one lecture on something to do with creating journal articles with data archives attached to them, but that was back in October and I cannot even remember now why I attended it. Anyway, I had thought that I would attend many more, at least one a month, but it hasn’t turned out that way. Now that the teaching is over and that warmer weather should arrive (soon?), I am hoping that I will be able to attend some of these. After all, watching them online is not really that great, is it?

Attending one of the events through a student society: I’m such a bad member of student societies! I joined up to something like 6 societies but I haven’t had time to attend any events that have been offered up. And now, after such a long time has passed, it feels very awkward to turn up to one of these – as though you only now hit “reply” to a message sent to you six months ago. Nevertheless, I will try to overcome this (very mild) feeling of shame and try to take advantage of the tennis club offerings (again, when and if warmer weather arrives).

The free food queue outside the student building: This seems to be something of a staple of the student experience, and one which I have yet to experience. I am just not very good at standing around in a queue in the cold. Although the offering is nearly every day (up from once a week, so I hear, from previous years), I always hit the queue when either it is very long, or when I have very little time. So I will be endeavouring to try it, at least once, before the course finishes.

There are many more things to try before I leave – but I have one more year, starting next September, because I’m a part-time student! So there is certainly plenty of time for such things yet. Perhaps.

Anton Jarrod

Anton

Studying the MSc Social Policy (Research), part time, and sharing some very subjective impressions of what being here is like for me (PS: I should disclose, I'm an optimist!)

Anton Jarrod

Anton Jarrod

Posted In: Student life