Julian Yap Joe Nin

May 31st, 2016

London Fashion Week

Julian Yap Joe Nin

May 31st, 2016

London Fashion Week

I have been off the blogging radar for so long. But now that all my summative essays and exams are finally over, I am so happy to be back blogging again.

This year has truly flown by so quickly and I have met some incredible friends, whom I for one will honestly treasure for life. Apart from that, London is so much more than just a hub for the LSE campus. It is the home to one of the biggest fashion events of the season.

London Fashion Weekend!

Like the Chanel Mademoiselle Privé exhibition that I attended earlier this year, this fashion event was also held in the prestigious Saatchi Gallery which everyone should definitely pay a visit to when they get the chance. I had the wonderful pleasure to attend London Fashion Weekend with my sister, Celine and one of my best friends from LSE, Tanita on Friday, the 26th of February 2016.

It’s so different to see Saatchi Gallery in the evenings especially when it is still winter with the sun setting really early in the day. With everything lit up, stepping into this one of a kind art gallery truly made me feel like an A-lister walking down the red carpet whilst being bombarded by paparazzi and flashing lights from their cameras.

Picture 1-crop Picture 2-crop

London Fashion Weekend really is the chance for every regular person to get a glimpse into what life is really like in the fashion industry. What is even more exciting is the opportunity to watch the show-stopping looks commanding the runways, including the best and up and coming designers and trends of the season.

Doors officially opened for the designer catwalk show at 7pm which featured Greek fashion designer, Mary Katranzou. She is an exceptional force to be reckoned with and it was such a fantastic show, filled with womenswear exuding many bold colours and prints which put a smile on my face. Certainly, she may be the first place to turn to for a new summer wardrobe seeing as temperatures in London are soaring. Watching her collection flow up and down the runway was a breath of fresh air and it truly was a taste of what summer’s going to be like this year in London: sophisticated, exciting, and colourful, with nothing short of surprises.

Picture 3

After Mary Katranzou, we all headed for the next show which kept my adrenaline pumping, the trend catwalk show! This was such a great exclusive opportunity to learn about the key spring/summer 2016 (SS16) trends and how to put a look together that best showcases them. The SS16 trends are: Americana, Beautiful Botanicals, Pop Art Brights and New Romance.

What trend are you?

Picture 4

You cannot get absolutely more Americana than the colours of red, white and blue. Also, think bold stars, stripes motifs, and collegiate jackets. All for the preppy and nautical individual who likes to have fun during summer vacations while naturally leaving a lasting smart and intellectual vibe on whoever he or she encounters.

“Florals for spring? Groundbreaking”. Who does not remember this line delivered astoundingly by the one and only Meryl Streep who plays the demanding and fierce Miranda Priestly on ‘The Devil Wears Prada”? Well as much as I hate to disagree with Miranda, I for one absolutely dig this Beautiful Botanicals trend this summer. You can always count on seeing beautifully bloomed flowers in English country gardens which is its ultimate signature. However, why not wear nature on your sleeve as well? Both men and women can certainly rock this trend. You’re probably sensitive, smooth and most importantly, ready to mingle and socialise with existing and newfound friends over a cup of tea and a tray of freshly baked scones in the English countryside.

I am all about colour and this huge explosion of Pop Art Brights will certainly make you demand attention from everyone and be the standout no matter how small or huge the crowd is. This is what summer is all about and you will probably want to make a bold entrance that only the confident daredevil will not be afraid to try out.

During these past two months in particular at LSE, my brain has been running non-stop on full fledged mental capacity resulting from all my summative essays and exam revision. What is important to realise is that sometimes, we do need to distract ourselves from reality so that our minds can refresh and rejuvenate themselves to conquer a new day and challenge. This is what the trend of New Romance is all about. Having your mind transported to a place of peace and serenity with ruffles, lace, tulle and silk in the palest of pastel shades. This is certainly the perfect trend especially if you have got summer weddings coming up to attend. You do not have to be a hopeless romantic to embrace your inner romantic at heart!

Every single minute of London Fashion Week was nonetheless, truly an ‘Ultimate Fashion Experience. Where Fashion Comes to Life’.

The next London Fashion Weekend will be on the 22-25 September 2016 so grab tickets now while you can!

Julian Yap Joe Nin

Follow me on my food, travel, lifestyle and LSE adventures at @julianyapjoenin (Instagram) and @julianyap4 (Twitter)

Posted In: London life