Julian Yap Joe Nin

June 21st, 2016

Celebrity Spotting

Julian Yap Joe Nin

June 21st, 2016

Celebrity Spotting

During this past week, I have had such an amazing time in Italy with my family which has left me feeling very refreshed and rejuvenated from my incredible but strenuous year as a postgraduate at LSE. However, what I would miss the most has got to be without a doubt, all the food and wine which had me swooning every time it got served right in front of me. As much as I wished that I could have stayed longer in Italy, London was calling. Or as a matter of fact, my dissertation.

I have had my fun but now, it is time to focus all my priorities and efforts on my dissertation. Knowing that this is the final stretch of the road is making me so motivated to cross this last hurdle and then the finish line with flying colours. Nothing makes me more excited than an exciting dissertation topic that is very personal to me and soon after, graduating from LSE and heading to the University of Southern California in LA to complete my MSc double degree in Global Media and Communications. Though there are going to be many sleepless nights with the dissertation checklist constantly at the back of my mind and long days at the library staring at books and the computer screen for a countless number of hours, what’s ahead is going to be well worth all this sweat and exhaustion.

This is going to be a very draining and stressful time which is why it is very important to take regular breaks in order to de-stress. This summer is not just all work but can be lots of fun too. What I do to relax when I am absolutely stressed from all the work that I have to conquer and the hectic environment that is LSE is to take long walks and brunches either on my own or with family and friends. My sister, Celine and I have been lucky enough to bump into several Hollywood celebrities while enjoying some leisure time outside especially during summer in London. More than you know, many celebrities regularly visit and live in London and not just LA or New York. Hence, make sure you do keep an eye out wherever you’re going whether if it is just to the busy shopping districts, the parks or even a local cafe. You might just bump into a celebrity which is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

12936780_10201666148451930_6446693272111144484_n

I personally do not watch Game of Thrones and a lot of my friends have told me to get on the bandwagon since it is that good. Maybe the word “good” is an understatement. However, I am pretty sure that within LSE, there are many Game of Thrones fans who would probably not be very happy or in fact, be really jealous when they realise whom my sister managed to meet. She was lucky enough to meet the beautiful Sophie Turner who plays the character, Sansa Stark on this HBO fantasy television series. Just having a coffee with my cousin and soon enough, my sister quickly spotted Sophie Turner coming out of Boots with her mother who was kind enough to capture this unforgettable shot of them two. I wonder just which Game of Thrones Star she is going to meet next. I for one would love to meet Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington!

13315463_10207427079290122_8433993019853782047_n

But now, we move onto the big leagues. Recognise this face right here? The one and only Brooklyn Beckham, son of Posh and Becks. The funny thing is that I least expected to bump into him let alone any of the Beckhams when I decided to go out on a lovely brunch with my sister and cousins nearby to where we live to take advantage of the glorious sunshine. When I went to grab a Starbucks, there Brooklyn Beckham was. The timing could not be more coincidental or perfect. It was a little intimidating at first going up to him to get a picture since he was sitting and hanging around with all his friends. But luck was on our side when he leapt out of his seat to head to Tescos where I waited outside for him for a couple of minutes. Not a creep, I promise. Just a big fan. We managed to get a picture together in the end which honestly just made my day. He was so down to earth and just a lovely chap which made me appreciate him and his entire family so much more. So star struck, it was one of the best moments of my life and I won’t forget it.

13335666_10207444202918202_1887693495113376828_n

London is famous for many of its museums such as the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, the Victoria and Albert (V&A) Museum and so many more. Another way to de-stress is to check the websites of these museums and see what current events and happenings are on. What I realised is that there will always be something that will cater to everyone which is why these museums are always well worth visiting if you have the time especially in the summer.

I happen to follow the acclaimed American fashion designer, Zac Posen which was why I got so excited when I found out that he was making a rare visit to London. On Wednesday, the 8th of June 2016, my sister and I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum from 2.30pm to 3.30pm to attend a live interview between the writer and director, Kinvara Balfour and Zac Posen focusing on his life and career. It was such a privilege and wonderful insight to be able to hear what Zac had to say regarding where his interest in fashion began and the successful career that he has today. Interestingly, he also talked a lot about his time in Central Saint Martins in London, his experience as a judge on the acclaimed “Project Runway” with Marie Claire’s Nina Garcia and supermodel, Heidi Klum and the everlasting and unforgettable MET Gala 2016 dress which he created for Homeland’s Claire Danes. At the end, there was such a huge crowd queuing to take a photo with him. Thankfully, I waited patiently enough and managed to score a photo with this mastermind and genius of the fashion world. It was so well worth the wait and such an honour to be in the company of one of America’s best.

Most of the time, we recognise celebrities from photos and live coverage of them looking all dolled up for the red carpets of award shows and movie premieres wearing tailor-made, bespoke suits and gowns by the world’s leading fashion designers including Zac Posen. This is why it can sometimes be very difficult to acknowledge that celebrities are just like us: typical, normal human beings. They live their daily lives as we all do in the same 24 hours in a day and most importantly, they do regular activities that resemble ours whether it’s working out, getting a coffee or having a meal in a restaurant with friends and family.

After these interesting encounters, there is definitely a chance that you will be able to meet a celebrity too. There are more lurking around London in the most obvious or unusual places, so make sure to keep an eye out wherever you go. And it may just be your lucky day. You’ll be all cured and ready to continue working! Who knew celebrity spotting as an activity could be a way to relax and de-stress?

Enjoy your summer and good luck with your dissertations!

Julian Yap Joe Nin

Follow me on my food, travel, lifestyle and LSE adventures at @julianyapjoenin (Instagram) and @julianyap4 (Twitter)

Posted In: London life | Student life