Anita Kiricenko

June 27th, 2016

On being a part of the LSE Students’ Union

Anita Kiricenko

June 27th, 2016

While accessing information for my dissertation on the Internet and exploring the books in the libraries I constantly come across news and academic sources written by LSE alumni and academics. It is hard to believe that for the past year I have been among the LSE students that were rushing daily through busy London streets to campus. We were preparing for seminars and lectures, writing essays and having an occasional break at one of LSE’s pubs. I immensely enjoyed those rare nights filled with meaningful and insightful discussions and jokes about everything – studies, career and life in general.

However, this year would have been unimaginable without the LSE Students’ Union. It would not have been the same without all the hard-working people from the Saw Swee Hock Student Centre that did everything they could to ensure all of us, without exception, have an unforgettable experience at LSE.
Starting with the Welcome Week at the end of September, LSESU supported and encouraged all students throughout the year. It offered an opportunity to participate in various kinds of activities to develop our knowledge and expertise beyond academic studies. I enrolled in many different activities but I particularly enjoyed student-led physical exercise classes that allowed me to relax from long hours of studying and writing. Also, I immensely benefited from LSESU’s Beyond the Classroom program that offered a series of free, skills-based workshops. I learned about campaigning, presentation and public speaking skills.

De-stress Fest
Image credit: flickr.com/lsesu

Moreover, LSESU really helped us get through the examination period by organizing de-stress events which included board games, free food and drinks, massage, health and well-being support and many more. The end of the Summer Term was marked by an amazing party that allowed us to finally forget the stress and hardship of the days filled with exam revision and summative essay writing. It was amazing to see cheerful faces, hear laughter and funny stories.

In addition to the de-stress events, LSESU organized the 2016 Teaching Excellent Awards ceremony that celebrated the dedication of the LSE community in supporting and mentoring students. It was truly a fascinating event during which I saw all the individuals who were rewarded for their commitment to the whole LSE community.

Summing up, I want to express my gratitude for the LSESU’s contribution to the general welfare on the LSE campus. I truly believe that each and every person from the LSESU deserves an award for both the work they have done and the ideals they embody. The Saw Swee Hock Student Center was such a significant part of my LSE experience and I truly felt like I was part of it. Thank you for everything you have done!

Image credits: flickr.com/lsesu

Anita Kiricenko

Anita Doing an MSc in Philosophy of Social Sciences, starting to complain about the weather daily, meanwhile immensely enjoying London