Sahima

January 2nd, 2020

Top 4 Things LSE Taught Me During My First Month

Sahima

January 2nd, 2020

LSE, at first was a whirlwind of emotions because I was exposed to a plethora of experiences. At one point, to be fair, it got a bit overwhelming. However, soon these experiences became valuable insights, teaching me some great lessons.

Here are the top 4 things, that I am so very grateful to have learned and I hope they help you navigate your way through this wonderful journey of being a student:

Time-Management: The person you became largely depends on how you spend your time. The key to your success here is good time management. Maintaining a balance between academia and social life is essential. I realised that we tend to waste a lot of time doing non-productive things like checking our phone, spending too much time on social media, overthinking, unnecessary travelling etc. In order to avoid them, here’s what you can do: make a list of important deadlines and give yourself sufficient time to finish them. Instead of burning yourself out with just studies make time for other things that interest you such as travelling, reading, cooking, volunteering etc.

Critical Learning Approach:  My first few classes taught me how to study, debunking my past methods. It is not about doing readings and spilling it out in your essays or final exams. LSE’s motto is to – understand the causes of things. You should engage with your texts critically, ask novel ideals, make global connections, and pay attention to the diverse perspectives your classmates bring during seminars. See your studies not as an attempt to just get a degree; rather as a path to challenge yourself and grow holistically as a person.

Appreciating Diversity: LSE’s strength lies in its diversity. In my first month here I have interacted with people from all over the world, and it has been such a wonderful experience. Just having conversations with others has changed the stereotypes that I would so easily believe in. By socialising with them I have gained acquaintanceship to new levels of intelligence, race, culture, values, politics and religion. It has broadened my horizons making me more culturally adaptable and engaged.

Living in the moment: In the hustle of classes, it is so easy to get stressed and forget living in the moment. One afternoon, while juggling multiple essays in the library, I realised what I was missing out on by worrying so much. LSE helped me appreciate the wonder that lies in the small moments. For example, I started becoming more mindful of my surroundings, living one moment at a time. Today, I enjoy playing with the cute dogs near King’s Cross Station, savour my doughnut till the last bite, soak completely in the beauty of the London bridge and often take a solitary walk at Lincoln’s Inn Field. For I know, that it is these small moments which will make the big picture by the time the term ends.

Sahima

Hey, lovely folks! I’m Sahima from India. At the moment, I am doing my master’s in International Relations from LSE. Most of the time, you will find me reading a book at the nearby cosy library. My favourite pieces of literature include The Great Gatsby, Dubliners and The Kite Runner. If I am not busy studying or debating over International Affairs, then I’ll be binge-watching Friends or The Office.