Brianna

January 30th, 2020

Hello student accommodation, it’s me again

Brianna

January 30th, 2020

After four years of undergraduate studies and dorm room-living, I thought for sure that I was done living in student housing – no more ban on candles and certain kitchen appliances, my own room, and the ability to choose exactly where I want to live.

But then I found myself with an acceptance letter to graduate school in London, a place I had no relatives or friends to live with, and really not much clue as to which neighborhoods would suit me best. (Or that I could afford for that matter).

So, I once again found myself searching student housing options, and although I was whole-heartedly against it, ended up living in student accommodation. But now as a graduate student in my last year of school, at least for now, I have come to appreciate some of the things that come along with student housing:Student Accommodation Neighborhood

The location: London can be incredibly expensive, so it is tough to find an affordable flat in central London. Most of the student accommodation I looked at, both LSE’s housing options and private student accommodations, were all in zone 1 and zone 2 – it doesn’t get more central than that. I live near King’s Cross and couldn’t be happier with how easy it is to get around.

The common rooms: My building has two common rooms, a study room, and an outside deck that I use to socialize and study throughout the year.  When I need a break from the desk in my room, I have plenty of places to go without ever having to leave my building.

The social aspect: I live with two students from different London universities and meet people all the time in my building that I never would have if I lived on my own.  Student accommodation is an inclusive social environment with plenty of opportunities to meet new people. Many buildings also have events planned throughout each month which is another way to try new things and meet your neighbors.

The support: When in student accommodation, if something is broken, old, or needs replacing, it is so easy to go online to file a maintenance report. Whereas if I were living on my own, I’d have to do a lot of that on my own or deal with a landlord. It is also great that student accommodation comes with all the furniture and kitchen necessities instead of having to start from scratch and buy an entire flat worth of furniture.

So, I may not be living in my dream flat yet, but for the time being, I really do appreciate the convenience, safety, and social aspects of my student accommodation, and wouldn’t change a thing about my housing process.

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: Accommodation | London life | Student life