Sahima

February 27th, 2020

Solo-Trip to Cambridge

Sahima

February 27th, 2020

Solo-Trip to Cambridge

Solo-Trip to Cambridge

The entire idea of a solo-trip seemed daunting to me at first, but a day-trip to Cambridge turned out to be the best possible experience. In a whim, I booked my tickets online from Liverpool Station for a total of 15 pounds. Before leaving, I researched for a good one hour and realized that there was a lot to cover. Soon the planner in me made a list of all the essential places to visit and eat.

From the moment, I reached, I was taken aback by its beauty, mind-boggling history, and academic texture. The entire city smelled of youth and peace, just waiting to be discovered. While walking through the narrow alleys and admiring its beautiful architecture, I unfolded different layers of it.

Café Milano

I started my solo-trip with this cute little café located at the heart of the city centre. Offering a range of delicious foods, I decided to order chocolate pastry to kick-start the day. The super helpful and courteous staff even helped me navigate the city.

Punting

This is a must-do activity and one of the best ways to see Cambridge. After some research, I had bought super cheap online tickets from Traditional Punting Company for just £10. Generally, the prices vary between £13-25 (depending upon the season and whether you take a self-hire ride). The one that I took was a chauffeured punting ride, which offered the best views from the River Cam, covering famous university landmarks such as King’s and Trinity College. Most of the chauffeurs are university-trained students who along the journey, share knowledge about the culture, history, and architecture of the city. Moreover, they are extremely friendly and tell the little-known facts which make for great stories. Punting is absolutely worth the money and something I strongly recommend to everyone.

Fitzwilliam Museum and Botanical Gardens

The museum is a perfect place for history and art lovers. As one of the key arts and antiquities museums, it offers the best collections of modern art in western Europe. I particularly enjoyed the Egyptian Collection, which serves as one of the most popular exhibits. (If you have the time, then a trip to the Botanical Garden is a must with an admission fee of just £5.50. They offer a special discount for students, so don’t forget to carry an identification card).

Fitzbillies

A trip to Cambridge without a visit to Fitzbillies is incomplete. Even though it is known for its world-famous Chelsea Bun, the bakery-café offers a lot more including cakes, high-power food, teas and coffee. After much contemplation, I ordered the delicious Eggs Bene’t.

In retrospect, acting on a whim turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever taken. My suggestion to anyone wanting to take a big solo-trip would be first to take a small day trip and then venture to bigger cities. Cambridge definitely serves as an easy and affordable option.

Sahima

Hey, lovely folks! I’m Sahima from India. At the moment, I am doing my master’s in International Relations from LSE. Most of the time, you will find me reading a book at the nearby cosy library. My favourite pieces of literature include The Great Gatsby, Dubliners and The Kite Runner. If I am not busy studying or debating over International Affairs, then I’ll be binge-watching Friends or The Office.

Posted In: Travel