Cherry Agarwal

April 29th, 2020

Dear Cambridge, With Love

Cherry Agarwal

April 29th, 2020

Dear Cambridge, With Love

About a month back, some 30 of us went to Cambridge, a city on the River Cam. It is also famous for being home to Cambridge University. The trip was organised by Sidney Webb House, the LSE student residence where I stay. 

As we boarded the bus at around 8am, I was reminded of a school picnic. This was way back in grade 4. Those were the times when my mum would ensure I had a snack box for the times when hunger pangs would come calling. While I could not match the deliciousness of what she lovingly packed for me, I had a cold pasta box to accompany me on this trip.

We left at around 8am in the morning and returned around 6pm. All through the journey, I stared at the clouds and sky as if trying to break a cipher. My friend and I also wondered how people living far away from the city would be accessing basics such as toilet paper. We could barely spot superstores around. At the same time, we also wondered how peaceful life must be given the comforts of green landscapes. 

As we reached Cambridge, I was in love. I am fascinated by cities and places that retain their traditional look, history and culture. This would perhaps explain my love for Delhi, and all the historical heritage that it has to offer. I find such cities to be a window into the past. Standing inside a creaking-old house, a church or a tower, I like to imagine how things would have been when the original residents went about their daily chores. I sometimes wonder if people of the past would find our peering into their lives an invasion of their privacy…

As I walked across Cambridge, through narrow lanes and crowded marketplaces, I couldn’t help but think about Britain’s colonial legacy. I wondered if the city and the University had benefited from the slave trade. I wondered if countries carried colonial guilt. To find proud displays at the Tower of London of how folks were tortured back in the day made me wonder if it was ethical for countries to continue making money off past wrongs. And this thought came galloping back as I walked along River Cam. My thoughts were often complemented by our lovely tour guide who spoke about labour rights and the impact of wars on the construction of some landmark heritage sites in Cambridge. Later, I would learn that the University of Cambridge had launched a two-year-long project to investigate its historical links to slavery. 

I learnt more about Cambridge’s history when I went punting – a boat ride where a huge pole is used instead of oars. We were helped by our lovely punter, who shared historical anecdotes, spoke about Canadian geese, and his memories of growing up in the countryside. I must confess, on occasions, I did not believe him. 

Among other things, I enjoyed looking at medieval manuscripts at the Wren Library, drinking some much-earned hot chocolate and treating myself to freshly-baked pizza. 

Cherry Agarwal

Cherry Agarwal is an independent journalist and educator based out of the UK. She started her writing career in 2012. Until recently, she worked as a senior reporter with Newslaundry.com, an award-winning news and media watchdog based out of Delhi, India. Her work focused on the rights of journalists, press freedom, media ethics, regulations and censorship. She is a Harvard College scholar and was a speaker for UNESCO's Media and Information Literacy Week. She tweets @QuilledWords.

Posted In: Student life